Lilypie

Friday, January 18, 2013

Should The Telco Compensate Us?

Finally, all those customers affected due to the mobile service downtime for one of our major mobile service providers, is finally over! What an ordeal! Three whole days of downtime, causing massive inconveniences to everyone else!
 
I am always for the underdog, so when this mobile service provider decided to break our main telco's monopoly way back in 1997 or thereabouts, I chose to go under their plans when I got my first mobile phone, instead of the main service provider. Since then, I have never defected, except once when I almost wanted to defect, but they lured me to stay with them by giving me huge rewards.
 
The telco has served me pretty well all these years, until the past few days when the network was down. As a result, texts sent were cranky, calls could not be sent or received, and even data plans were down.
 
How can this happen, especially to such an established company? I have always been pretty happy with this service provider, because the bills are reasonable, customer service is good, there are discounts and rewards as and when, and most importantly, I get to call three people for free (provided they are also of the same provider), so with these few people, I can talk all I want without any extra charge!
 
Even the data plan is reasonable, as when I got my smartphone last year, I could get the phone for free and upgraded my plan for just a little bit more to get the data plan. Hence, my bills never went above a certain amount, except when I was overseas and had to make some long distance calls and texts. 
 
The first time my bill went up was when I was on a business trip to the United States and there was some trouble brewing back home, and I had to make lots of massive long-distance calls and incurred a humongous bill. Another time was when I was in Australia last year and had to make some long distance calls, and I did not realise the charges were so much. So at least a note that there would be no more long distance calls unless absolutely necessary!
 
Anyway back to the telco's problem. I wonder if the telco will give a good explanation for the service downtime? Shall they compensate customers for their inconvenience? I am not trying to push the blame here as things like that do happen, but being a service provider, especially since now everyone is super reliant on their mobile phones, should they not at least give a reasonable explanation or not charge us for those few days?
 
Afterall, it will be unfair if we are to pay for this mess when it is definitely not the customer's faults in the first place!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...