Lilypie

Tuesday, August 8, 2006

A Lucky Day?

Today is the 8th of August. 88. In Chinese context, it is a lucky number, a lucky day, But then today it happens to be the fifteenth day of the Hungry Ghost month, so maybe it is not that lucky after all.

Today could have been my youngest brother’s birthday. Since he was by caesarian birth, my mum chose the 8th of August 1988 for his date of birth. Being born in the Dragon year, with a birth date like 8888, he will be a lucky shining star, which incidentally seems to be just the case.

My brothers’ birth dates were all chosen, ever since my mum’s gynaecologist had to do an emergency caesarian on her in order to remove me from her womb. I was three weeks overdue. I was supposed to be born on 1st October, but came out only about three weeks later.

Just as well, since I like my date of birth. Very nice number! And incidentally corresponded with the day in the lunar calendar when the Goddess of Mercy found enlightenment. So to my parents, it was a special day on the day I was born.

My first brother was chosen to be born on Vesak Day – the day of Buddha’s birthday. So my parents made all our birth dates special. My mum hoped that one day I could be “chosen by Kuan Yin” to, well, not sure for what actually, but then I chose to convert.

If I can choose next time, I will also like my kids to be born on special days. Hopefully one during Christmas, one during Good Friday or Easter, one during the Feast of the Virgin Mary. But as what always happens, things do not go my way always.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...