Lilypie

Saturday, August 26, 2006

In Memorium

My close friend from secondary school just informed me that our Phys Ed Departmental Head passed away earlier on. This is the second time I heard news of a former teacher of mine passing away. The first was a decade ago, when my former Home Economics teacher passed away. I had just left school then.

Our Phys Ed Head, whom we affectionately call "Cikgu", was a bubbly but strict Malay lady. She was a sportsperson in her youth, but by the time I entered secondary school, she was suffering from a glandular problem triggered about by chidbirth, and grew bigger and bigger until she could not even run around or exercise anymore.

Nevertheless, she used her loudspeaker of a voice to bark orders at everyone. Students would cower whenever they heard she would be taking their Phys Ed classes. Every year, I crossed my fingers and prayed she would not be taking us.

Come every Physical Fitness test, we always hoped to pass, as her regulation was that as long as we failed one item, we failed the whole test. Re-tests training would be exclusively under her. As a result, no one dared to fail, and all tried their bests to pass every item, be it sit-ups, standing broad jumps, shuttle runs, flex arm-hangs and the dreaded 2.4 km run.

The first two years went by, and by the time I reached upper secondary, we got her as our Phys Ed teacher for the remaining two years, and Phys Ed lessons then became hell for me. Every lesson was like an Outward Bound School activity; we had obstacle courses, long-distance running, gymnastics.

She expected us to keep up to her timing, and anyone who slowed down would be screamd at and made to do more vigorous exercises. I dreaded Phys Ed classes during those times. But whatever she was doing was effective, as for the first time in my life, I achieved a Gold for Physical Fitness test during the two years we were under her.

And for that period of time, my body had never looked better! My legs were so toned and shapely, my waist was twenty-three inches, my weight was an all-time low of 44 kg. So in a way, I was really grateful to her because she was one lady who really knew what she was doing.

And even though I was never close to her, I want to thank her from the bottom of my heart for everything she taught us. Farewell and rest in peace. You will always be remembered in your own special way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...