Lilypie

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

A Whiter Shade Of Green

Green is a soothing colour. It represents the trees and grass, the main source of oxygen and fresh air we breathe in, and it is good on our eyes. Being a secondary colour, it can come in many vibrant shades – from pale turquoise to bright forest green.

The walls of the rooms of the second floor of my house have been painted Whisper Green. The painting job is still on-going, as the contractors are left with the walls of the first floor.

The colour is very light green, so pale that it looks almost white. My room was completed yesterday, and I could hardly sleep a wink last night due to the lingering smell of paint.

Now that my room has a tinge of greenish hue, it seems more soothing at night and during the day. The ultraviolet light reflecting off the walls are not as blinding anymore, and it has an overall cooling feeling to it. It makes me seem more relaxed, calm and peaceful.

Maybe it is all in the mind, but now I feel my room is in a better state to make major decisions, since it gives me a cool and laid-back feeling, not as stressful and tired as before. And making a decision is just what I need to do.

I started work yesterday. It is a small firm, thus not as structured as bigger firms. Anyway, every company functions differently. What I find strange is that I have started work, and yet have not even signed the Letter of Offer, which means I have no idea about my pay, benefits and welfare.

Besides, the director I am working for was sick yesterday, so he was not in office. And no one knew I was even starting work yesterday, so there was a bit of confusion for the beginning of the day.

Other than that, my first day of work saw me clearing away and sorting out lots of backlog. Now why can the handover not be done properly before I start work? I have to come on Saturday mornings and stay late some weekends just for my predecessor to come back and brief me.

But at the end of the day, I received a call from one of the big companies I interviewed for. They asked if I am still keen on the position as they are considering me. I answered in the affirmative.

Of course, if that company confirms the offer with me, I will definitely take up the job. I always like to go in-house, and besides, working in a big company will have better prospects, development, learning, benefits and welfare, not to mention a better structure.

But in that case, what is to become of this current job? It will be a little unfair if I jump ship so fast, especially since a verbal confirmation is deemed as actual confirmation, only not contractual binding as a signed letter.

On the other hand, how often can one have the opportunity to work in a big company? I believe most people will take the better offer. I just feel bad that I am playing out my current company for leaving so fast if I do get the offer.

Besides, working in a big company may not be all a bed of roses. The prospects and everything is there, but the stress and politics are much more intense than in a smaller firm. Which is why I need to make a decision on whether to stay or go if I do get the confirmation.

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

You have not received the letter of offer yet.

You are already helping them clear their backlog. (And you won't be paid for it.) I think it is a pretty fair trade.

And I remembered you complaining about whisper green :P

shakespeareheroine said...

Well, that was before I know whisper green is so pale that it's almost white. Thot if it's going to be bright green or something, I would not like it on my walls!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...