Lilypie

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The New Supreme Court

I am so tired lately, after having kept late nights at work the past week. Some inconsiderate clients pushed forward the deadline, so instead of one month, we now only have one week or so to prepare all the due diligence and closing documentation.

I am dealing more on overseas stuff, so in a way, it is more interesting than what I had been doing, as my experience only covers local work. But because the matter is overseas, it is hard to get the clients to sign the required documents.

More channels have to be involved as approvals have to be sought from every level. Thus, there are lots more documentation than normal, which explains why I am always the last one left in the office.

Will I be marked down for being inefficient or will I be promoted due to hard work and good attitude? At times, it is such a dilemma. When one stays late to clear work, some companies may view the employee as being too slow and inefficient. But when one does not stay, some companies will view as being not committed enough in the work.

I finally went for a blood test. The results are out. Shall I deem it as good news or bad news? The good news is that there is no disorder or abnormalities in my blood for now.

The bad news? The blood pressure is all-time low, blood count low, and my resistance level is not as strong, thus it takes the cells slower to generate fresh cells to fight against bacteria or other virus. Which explains why I am prone to anaemia and sickness, and will probably continue this way for the rest of my life.

I went to the new Supreme Court on Friday for a meeting. I did not have the fortune to go into the court(s) itself, but we had to meet our clients at the coffee house on the ground floor of the building.

From the surface and interior, it definitely looks much better than the old court. But then the old court with the dome is an icon of City Hall, just like the Padang, so for heritage sake, I hope the building will not be demolished or renovated, since it is already so rare to find something worthy of nostalgia.

When was the last time I went to the old court? I think it was last year, when I had to go to the Academy of Law office for an interview. I have only gone there a few times though, mostly to do volunteer work.

My second ex got me involved in a lot of law activities. For instance, I helped to usher when the Supreme Court was having an open house for the public. I also helped to convert law reports and verdicts from Word format into the web format during one of the school holidays.

My first trip to the old court was almost a decade ago when my class went to visit the then-newly-opened Technology Court. Later, I had to sit in for a case and write a report on my court visit.

I remember the case I sat in for was a drug-trafficking case. A pity I could not sit in for any murder cases. The accused looked really scary. The entire place had a very solemn atmosphere.

Contrary to what one sees on television and the movies, a real court case is actually very boring. The lawyers presented the case to the judge(s), and some lawyers spoke so softly that those sitting in could hardly hear a word.

My second ex accompanied me for this assignment. I also pulled along my best friend, who brought along her sister, and I brought along my first brother. We had to keep very very quiet when entering the courtroom, and even though we sat in for just half an hour, the atmosphere in the courtroom felt like death.

That was my first and last time I ever sat in for a court case. I had visited the old court several times since then, once during an educational outing when I was one of the delegates for the ASEAN Law Students’ Conference when it was held here.

Another time was when a few of us lunched with the Vice-President of the Singapore Academy of Law at the café there as a thank you lunch for the work we did uploading the law reports online.

And another time when a few of us had tea at the main hall with the Chief Justice himself to thank us for volunteering our time and services during the Supreme Court Open House.

Somehow I find the old court better than the new one. Maybe because the new court is just another typical new building, with advanced technology and modern architecture and facilities. I have not gone into the courtroom so I have no idea how different or same it is from the old court.

The old court, on the other hand, is like a building on its own, with its own formal but unique architecture. Even the interior feels more formal but awesome. Somehow I never did have that feeling when I stepped into the new court.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...