Lilypie

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Salsa! Salsa!

My slimming treatments are going very well. So far I have attended three sessions, two of which I was hooked onto the machine and had my fats being vibrated away, one of which I had a firming tummy mask.

The sessions seem effective though, since I have already lost two kilograms! My clothes are getting looser and my tummy bulge seems smaller. What a way to go! This is even better than natural dieting!

I finally started the beginners’ Salsa class yesterday evening, after postponing it a few times. The lesson is one hour long and will continue for eight weeks. My mum signed up together with me, and she was supposed to attend the lesson as well. Unfortunately she was sick so my first brother attended the lesson on her behalf.

It was a pretty interesting lesson. The instructor started off by letting us listen to a song, and we had to get the rhythm right and clap according to the rhythm. Then he introduced the feet movements.

Apparently, there are eight counts to the movements. We started off with the left foot. Tap to the front, back to position, then tap to the back, back to position. The right foot is of the same pattern, except it started from the back then proceed to the front.

We also learnt to bring our right foot to the right and back to position, turned a right full circle, and posed in whichever way we liked. The instructor first started out without music, then when the music was played, the movements had to be faster.

The next half of the lesson involved partner dances. We were told to put our arms at our waist position. So if the guy I partnered with was taller, he had to bring his arms down; if he was shorter, he had to bring his arms up.

The ladies just stood in position, waiting for the guys to rotate partners. I ended up partnering with five guys, including a 1.8 metre tall Caucasian! It was impossible for my arms to stay at my waist level when I partnered with him as his arms could not go any lower than my chest level!

The guys had to lead. We could not look down at our feet. We had to have eye contact with our partners, and then move accordingly to his actions. Some of the guys seemed to have taken lessons before, because they could tell me how to grasp their hands, and how to tap my feet. It makes one wonder why they are in the beginners class in the first place.

Needless to say, the number of ladies outnumber that of men. Thus, a few ladies ended up with no partners. And when my mum comes next week, the ratio will be more imbalanced. As a result, in the following weeks, some of the ladies have to learn how to dance the guy parts as well, as it seems that the men and ladies’ parts are different.

Overall, it was an enjoyable and fun lesson. But perhaps due to my lack of exercise and recent physical condition, I feel extra lethargic after the lesson, with my feet and waist being aching and sore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...