Lilypie

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Coursework Or Research?

I caught up with an old friend who is now a Masters research scholar back in NIE. She was telling me to apply for a Masters degree too, and if I do not wish to do it full-time, I can always take the part-time course.

I did apply for a Masters in Education before, but somehow I was rejected. This comes from results being too poor. :-( So I told her I will finish up my Honours degree first, then see how from there.

She is on scholarship, so doing the programme full-time. If she is to do it part-time, it will be coursework-based rather than research-based. I wonder what is the difference? Is having a postgraduate degree by research better than one by coursework?

From what I gather, the syllabus is the same. Only the structure of the course is different. A coursework programme probably takes a shorter time to complete than one that is research-based.

I guess only the smartest ones can study a degree through research, as it takes commitment, brains, comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the subject matter and intensive reports to generate thesis after thesis after thesis. This is something which I do not think I can ever do.

If I am to take a postgraduate degree in the future, I will rather it be full assessment or coursework. No research and no examinations. I am so scared of all the research work done during my university years, and scared of all the examinations I have to take even in my current Honours programme.

What to do? I am such a lazy person. I do not like things which will eat away my brain cells. Ironic as it sounds since I seem to be juggling with so many things, but it is true. I like something more laid-back and enjoyable, not something which requires me to think and analyse.

Which probably explains why I refuse to do anything mathematical or science related, that, plus the fact that I am more of a right-brainer, so my analytical and scientific prowess are practically non-existent.

But which is better? Research or coursework degrees? To me, I do not think it is much of a difference since the ultimate goal is still to achieve a degree. In the end, it is the degree and results that matter, not how you studied it.

And since it is going to be the same qualifications, why not make it enjoyable and stress-free instead of studying so much and incur more stress? But this is just a lazy person’s opinion. I am sure many people have achieved their post-graduate qualifications through sheer hard work.

And for that, I salute them for having the determination and commitment to carry through, no matter how difficult.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I know what is your basic degree in?

shakespeareheroine said...

Arts and Education.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...