Lilypie

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Different Church Experience

So inspired I was with the church performance, that I decided to take a look at how other churches will be like, so I went to his church on Sunday. Thankfully he goes to a traditional service and not the charismatic Praise and Worship service. Somehow we prefer the more solemn traditional service and not the noisy Praise and Worship service with lots of people speaking in tongues.

The experience is not unlike a Catholic church. In fact, the songs and prayers are almost the same as those of Catholic masses. Of course, in a Catholic mass, there will be more procedures, as we do not just pray to Jesus and God, but also to honour Mary, whereas other Christian churches do not include the honouring of Mary.

Even the way Communion is partaken is very similar, except in a Catholic church, one goes in front and the priest will hand the wafer, whereas in a Christian church, one has to kneel down in front of the altar and the wafer with a small cup of drink is given. Communion is partaken every week for baptised Catholics, but only once a month in a Christian church.

I know religion is a very sensitive topic to many people. There are those staunch Christians who, for some reason or another, seem to be against Catholics and always proclaim that Catholics are not real Christians, simply because we include Mary in our prayers. And to many Catholics, they are against Christians as they think that Catholics are the true religion, after all, Catholics are the first Christians, and all others are not.

I shall reserve any comment regarding that, in case I tread on sensitive ground and cause any offense and unhappiness to others. For me, why I chose to be Catholic and not another denomination simply because since young, I have been influenced, be it my school environment, my cousin, and even the guys I went out with.

As I grow older I started to learn more about Christianity per se. I have attended charismatic churches, preached by friends who are staunch Christians, went to charismatic Christian performances, traditional services. I could have gone to any other church and get baptised in any other denomination, but somehow I still feel most comfortable in a Catholic church, attending a Catholic mass, which is why in the end I got baptised as one.

To me, I feel that whichever church one attends does not matter. What matters is how one behaves, how true one is to the religion. There are many Christians, be they Catholics or any other denomination, who do not behave like one. They go fooling around, having one night stands, backstabbing others, making a mess of their lives.

I am not judging, but if someone claims to be in a certain religion and claims to be so staunch and active in the church yet behaves in a way totally uncalled for, one wonders just how "true" that person is in the first place.

So yes, once in a while, I may go to a different church, but when it comes to a normal mass or my wedding, it will be in a Catholic church of course! Because that is where I truly belong. That is where I want to get married in, baptise my children in, and bury in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...