Lilypie

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Financing In Reality

I used to be so idealistic until a dash of reality jolted me back to my senses. One never really knows how much financing one needs until one sets down to plan for the future. For instance, I have discovered that if I am to buy a place and a car, the monthly instalments will probably be more than my entire months' salary per se.

And a car loan lasts for ten years, whereas a housing loan (for those my age and younger) can go as long as forty years. Add in the interest incurred, and I will probably take three lifetimes to pay off everything.

Of course, with a combined income, things are easier, depending on how much the partner is earning. But even with a dual income, the monthly instalments for a house and a car is pretty taxing too.

So after deducting housing and car expenses, come to think of it, the amount left is hardly enough to actually save up for the rest of the future. Now I can start to understand why a lot of couples do not wish to have kids, or do not wish to have more kids, as even if they do not have a car, the housing expenses itself is enough to set them back quite a bit. Whatever that is left is hardly enough to take care of one child.

That is not to say I will follow in their footsteps. For me, I want kids more than anything else, as children will give so much more joy to a couple's lives and relationship. It is just a matter of putting aside some money and time to effectively nurture a child.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...