Lilypie

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Quest For Lifelong Learning

The MBA briefing got me thinking : most of those who attended the briefing were foreigners, ie foreigners who studied here. I hardly see anyone born and bred here attending the briefing. In fact, most people I know who pursue a Masters or even PhD are foreigners. Only one out of ten people I know who are locals pursue a Masters or PhD.

Why is that so? Is it because in general locals are too comfortable with where they are? They are satisfied with just a degree, or even less, and do not wish to pursue anything higher? Some tell me that they are getting old, too tiring and difficult to study anymore. Some say they do not have the brains, it was already a big struggle completing their studies in the first place.

What I feel is that these are the ones who are too used to their comfort zones that they are not willing to upgrade or learn more things. Learning things may not be just academic, they can be a lot of other activities, like singing, dancing, music, yoga, sushi-making, etc. Yet it is hard for me to find someone to even go dancing with or play music with.

Which is why I enjoy his company so much, because he is one person who adheres to enjoying life and learning more things. We play music together, sing together, will be going dancing together, play tennis, bowling and pool together, even cook together. He is even willing to look through my stamp collection! It is good to have someone who shares your interests and do not mind doing things together with you.

Unfortunately, not many people are like that. Most are not willing to learn new things, or to explore places. They rather do the same things day in, day out, and get stuck in a boring routine. I always get scoffed at for wanting to do so many things, but to me, that is the enjoyment I get out of life.

Maybe because I grow up in a family where it is a given attitude to upgrade. My cousins are either first-class honours or Masters, with a couple pursuing PhD even. We were sent to enrichment classes like piano, speech and drama, dance, sports. Our television and games time were restricted and replaced by books. With nothing else to do, we could only read.

Anyone who did not even think of having an honours degree was frowned upon, which is why sometimes I still feel a little awkward talking to my relatives. And most pursue post-graduate courses after a while, whether they are still single or even after they are married.

The thirst for learning and knowledge is very abundant in my family. And the people they marry have the same attitudes towards learning and upgrading. Perhaps it is just as well none of my past relationships work out. They will never be able to assimilate.

What I am trying to say is that there are so many things in life worth trying. I am not talking about the negative things like smoking or gambling, or fooling around having one-night stands, but other more interesting activities. Yet somehow a lot choose to make a mess of their lives by doing all the negative things, but scoff at things which are good and beneficial. And I find it so sad indeed, to not being able to live life to the fullest in the good way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...