Lilypie

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Mid-Autumn Night's Dream

When I was young, I used to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival at my maternal grandmother's place. We kids would take our dinner, some moon cakes, then go out into the garden to play with lanterns. The lanterns ranged from big to small, colourful to plain.

I remember we had to compete who would get the biggest and most colourful lantern. It was on a first-come-first-serve basis, so being the slow eater I am, I always end up with the leftover lanterns. :-(

But those were fun days. We stopped doing that when my two cousins passed away one after another. Then my uncle decided to knock down the house and build a new one in its place, so they moved out for a few years. After that, we grew up and became too old to play with lanterns anymore.

My favourite type of moon cakes is the green pandan flavoured skin with pure lotus, no egg yolks. Somehow I dislike egg yolks in my moon cake. I know most people prefer yolks in their moon cakes, but to me, I dislike yolks per se. Even when I eat hard-boiled eggs or bull's eye, not to mention sunny-side up, I always take just the egg whites and leave the yolks.

When I was in secondary school, I started having a fantasy for Mid-Autumn day. It had been my dream on the night itself, take a stroll along the beach with a special someone. We would then sit on a breakwater or the sand, eating moon cakes and moon-gazing.

We would just sit and enjoy each other's company, looking at the moon, not saying a word. At times, just keeping quiet and being there with each other is more enjoyable than talking to each other. A couple need not talk to each other every second of the day, what matters is they enjoy each other's company no matter what they do.

Alas, my dream had not come true. The guys I used to date all find it a waste of time doing that. They rather stay home or do other things. In any case, they do not treat the Lantern Festival as such a big deal, whereas I was brought up to honour such festivals.

When I said this to the guy I am currently seeing, he found the idea nice and interesting. We did talk about doing that, but then other things cropped up. We had dinner, played tennis (singles this time), then ate moon cake while drinking tea with one of his flat mates. So we never did manage to go moon-gazing.

But that does not matter. What matters is we spent time with each other. We had a good tennis session, a fun time eating moon cakes, drinking tea and interacting with his flat mate. One can have fun anywhere, anytime, doing anything, as long as it is with a person that matters. But a pity not many people can understand this concept.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...