Lilypie

Friday, September 21, 2007

Another Small Coincidence!

Life is just so full of coincidences. Perhaps the Earth is round, which makes it small, so ultimately people will just keep going around in circles and never fall off the edge, since a sphere hardly has an edge in the first place.

Or perhaps this country / island is simply too small, that in the end, people along the street may be people you know. Which is why it is always better to remain on good terms with others, as one never knows who one meets along the way. That person could be your new boss, or your life partner.

Even in the company I am working for, despite having so many employees, there have been a couple of coincidences. The former Legal Counsel for Business Development (which incidentally, is a different department from Group Legal altogether, as they are only doing negotiations and contracts for new projects whereas we are doing everything else) happened to be in the same batch as me.

Not only that, one of her closest friends happened to be my secondary school classmate, who later became a law school mate. So when she mentioned me, my classmate remembers me as the nerdy goody type (HMMMMM!!!).

And she (the former BDLC) is getting married to this guy, who is tall, dark, handsome, rich, and heir to a listed company, whose father happens to be the owner of the company the guy I am seeing is working in. Complicated? Well, a remarkable coincidence actually.

The lawyer who took over her place as the new BDLC was a few years my senior in secondary school. She did some relief teaching after completing her 'A' levels, and she happened to be my English Literature teacher for a term back when I was in Secondary Two. I remember her name, how she looked like (although a bit different now that she is married with kids) and that she went to do law.

Her two younger sisters were in the same school as well, and I remember them as they were both prefects. The second sister was the Head Prefect when I was in Secondary One, and the youngest sister was a year older than me and was in the Prefectorial Committee when I just joined the Prefectorial Board in upper secondary.

Not only that, all three were in the same Mathematics Enrichment class I attended for a while back. Now, that really is a remarkable coincidence of the world being too small, that one never knows who meets who later on, even if years down the road.

Of course, since I am never close to any of them, ie I know them by sight and name, not personally, she does not remember who I am, because it had been fifteen years at least when I last saw her. Maybe I have a good memory, or maybe I just happen to be able to remember names and faces, that I was the one who sort of recognised her first, and confirmed her identity.

But it is quite a scary thought, is it not, that someone you met decades ago could in the end work in the same company as you, and may even become your superior. Luckily I was never the type who gave trouble, or perhaps most people I know are never the type to bear grudges, so I have a rather easy time getting along and picking up where we left off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...