Lilypie

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Another Pushy Marketeer

I received a call from a fitness centre, saying I am eligible for a two-week membership pass to use the facilities and any of the courses. I could bring along a friend and he / she would have the same priviledges. So we went to check out the offer last night.

I must say, the fitness centre itself has very good facilities and the decorations are very zen-like, just as if we were stepping into a discotheque. The lights are dimmed and bright at alternate intervals, and certain angles are flickering, which cause my eyes to flicker too. The overall effect is too glaring for my liking.

We went to explore the premises, looked through the machines, sat on the massage chair (which was so comfortable that I was so reluctant to get up), then the "real thing" began. We were sat down and the consultant talked to us about fitness packages and courses, and their promotional rates.

We spent about two hours in the centre, trying to push the consultant and trainer away into telling us to sign up for packages. We kept saying we had budget and time constraint, yet they kept lowering the prices and trying to convince us that we only needed an hour or so per week.

In the end I got really irritated, and the poor guy was trying to fend off more pushiness from the consultant in question. But at least we did get a two-week free membership to the centre, so we will be going back this weekend to try out the Yoga class. Not to mention free gifts of a hand mirror and water bottle each.

Even though I considered it quite a waste of time, the offers and promotions are pretty good actually. But if I am to sign up for a gym membership, I really do not know if I can be committed enough to attend on a regular basis. I rather do other kinds of exercises which I like, like tennis for instance!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...