Lilypie

Sunday, December 9, 2007

December Rain

If I remember correctly, I think there was a local Chinese musical by the same name. The story was set in the 60s, where the influence of Communism was rather rampant, especially amongst the students in Chinese-medium schools.

But this post is not on the musical. Rather, it is on how the weather seems so chilly lately. No doubt this time of the year is the monsoon season of heavy rains and constant storms, but this December, the weather seems extra chilly. Even if there is no rain, the winds are strong and cool enough.

It is so cool especially at night that I have to sleep with a blanket covering myself even though half my windows are closed and the air conditioner and fan are both off! Is it just me or is the weather nowadays really that cool?

Not only that, when I went to watch the musical today, I put on a V-necked cashmere top, complete with a cashmere pashmina in the theatre! This is practically unheard of, wearing cashmere in tropical weather!

Is it due to global warming that the world's climate is changing? Temperate countries have milder winters and hotter summers, and sub-tropical and tropical countries are having cooler temperatures. Perhaps in time to come, it may even snow here? Then that will be something indeed!

2 comments:

Richard said...

Oh, you will like snow. Sofia's cousin, who is visiting from Peru wondered, after the first snowfall, how people manage to live here with the snow right to their door. Since, in Peru, the only snow is on the tops of maountains.

Cold? I think you jest. I just checked the weather in Singapore - min 25C, max 29C – for me, that is hot. Although, it is cloudy. Of course, this is all relative. My Sudanese friend told me how his uncle would chase after him to wear his hat to avoid catching cold when the temperature would drop into the (high) 20s.

It is currently -6C in Ottawa, with almost no wind. It is very mild. I walk with my jacket open.

juphelia said...

It's all a matter of perception. For people like me who has lived in the Tropics for the whole of their lives, a drop in temperature couple with heavy rains will make us feel cool, although of course it is nothing compared to the snow and negative temperatures in other countries.

Anyway, the weather's been getting warmer lately. But temperature tends to fluctuate, especially at this time of the year. There can be a few days of sunshine, followed by another few days of consistent rain.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...