Lilypie

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Spreading Some Christmas Cheer

It had been a busy week, with carolling and rushing of deadlines at work. I have been intending to update more on carolling, but it had been one hell of a week. Anyway the carolling is officially over after two days and one week (almost) of practices. I still prefer the one two years back when we really went to sing for the old folks door to door. That is more meaningful, in my opinion.

How did I get into the carolling this time? It was actually because of a last minute request. I do not know if it is a sign, but when I was at the Curry Favor restaurant last Sunday, my friend sent me a message. Before that he knew I was feeling a little unwell, so he sent me a message asking how I was.

We started chatting and he asked if I had gone to church, since he was thinking of going to the Novena Church that evening, then join his group's Music Ministry for carolling practice after that.

Since I had not been to church that day due to the Boys Brigade Charity event, and since I happened to be very near to Novena Church, I offered to join him for mass, and after that, he got me involved in the carolling.

My first practice was last Sunday itself. The keyboardist left halfway, and word got out that I could play, so I was asked to stand in, without any preparation. I was so nervous that my fingers were practically shaking! Luckily I am quite familiar with Christmas carols, so I played mostly by ear, without the scores.

Some of the songs were a little high-pitched, and it seemed that I was the only one who could reach anything beyond a high C, so I had to do some transposition before the rest of the singers could keep up.

Anyway, practice went well that day, and we had another practice on Monday. Then the carolling performance started on Friday (yesterday), where we sang for residents of a certain neighbourhood. A little balcony was set up in a field, and we performed there.

Today, we sang at a condominium to the residents, as there was a sort of Christmas party going on, but the singing was called off halfway due to the sudden downpour. We then proceeded to the clubhouse for drinks and food.

The Member of Parliament of that constituency came to join in the party and the singing, and we got to shake hands with him and took photos together! What an honour! And a very good-looking and charming man as well!

Before we left, one of the members of the Music Ministry said I performed very well, just like a natural on stage. She asked if I would like to join them full time, as they really need good performers. I said I would have to consider, as with school starting in January, I am not sure how committed I can be.

But the happy thing is that we managed to spread some cheer to the various residents. And I have not lost my touch after all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...