Lilypie

Monday, December 17, 2007

Reaching Out To The Elderly

The charity event got off to a good start. We met at the Boys Brigade Headquarters around 11:00am, and Ms Violet paired us up randomly. Those who did not drive were paired up with those who drive. The drivers had to line their cars in a U-shaped, from outside the building to the inside, where the boys brought out plastic bags full of food stuff and told us where to go.

It seems to be a much-hyped event, since I saw a reporter and a cameraman interviewing some of the people. Apparently, the event was telecast on the news that night, but luckily I did not have any "few seconds of fame", so to speak.

My partner and I were assigned five places. Four were in the same block, with three on the same level, and one was in a nearby neighbourhood. The blocks we went to are one-room flats, seem to be catered for the elderly.

Which makes me wonder, what happened to their families? Or did they have no families? It is rather sad for an elderly to live on his / her own without anyone to take care of and vice versa. What if he / she suffers a fall and pass on just like that? It will be ages before anyone knows! It makes me more determined never to live my life like this - all alone without a companion in the world.

We had to ensure the person stipulated in the slip was home before we could deliver the food stuff. Each person is entitled to two packets. The packets are heavy indeed! Imagine the packets contain oil, rice, noodles and other foodstuff, which amounted to about ten kilograms per packet! I could hardly carry any, so the guy I paired up with carried all for me.

Some of the people were not in, thus we were unable to deliver the stuff. Those whom we managed to deliver the stuff successfully were grateful to us. I see the conditions which they are staying in and I feel really sad for them. The flats are one-roomed, so the living and bedroom is combined, with just a kitchen and bathroom at the back.

Facing one of the blocks are a row of houses, big, three-storey houses. What a mix! On one side, derelict one-roomed flats where the corridors are too dim to see properly, the other side, big houses with big balconies where we could see the residents enjoying themselves.

I wonder if those old folks staying in the flats ever gaze out of their windows and wonder what the lives of the residents in those houses are like? And I also wonder if those residents in those houses ever gaze out from their big balconies and wonder if they need to lend a helping hand to those folks in the one-room flats?

But knowing people, they just go about living their own lives, without really bothering about what goes on around them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...