Lilypie

Friday, June 13, 2008

Back To Floppies ....

I am really tired! I just feel like sleeping at my desk right now! The reason I am so tired is because I hardly slept a wink last night. I was doing work, not my own work, but helping my brother with his. Apparently, he probably offended someone in his unit, so he was made to take home some data entry work, saved on a floppy disk, (yes, a floppy disk) and he had to churn out everything overnight.

Who in the world uses a floppy disk nowadays? My home PC has been upgraded two years back and the floppy disk drive has been blocked out. My own laptop does not come with a floppy disk drive. Neither does my dad's laptop. Even my office PC and laptops do not have floppy disk drives anymore! Nowadays, everyone uses flash disks or thumb drives or USB ports, or shared folders! Even CD ROMs are hardly in use anymore!

Needless to say, my brother was raving and ranting about why our home PC no longer has a floppy disk drive and he really needed to rush out his report, to which I said, because no one uses floppy disks nowadays! So my mum had to bring him to her office to use, where her PC still has the floppy disk slot.

However, he was taking such a long time to do his work, that in the end, she borrowed two laptops from her office and brought them home. Her office laptops are mostly new (read : no floppy disk drives), but luckily she managed to find two old ones (that still run on Windows 2000 or thereabouts), and got everyone to help out.

So I ended up doing data entry work past midnight. And there were about fifty sheets of computerised print outs, so it was quite a huge chunk to fill in. And the computers are so slow! I am too used to XP and the new Vista that I have no patience for anything older anymore, because the files took such a long time to save and load!

He really better owe me one for this ....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...