Lilypie

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Body Style And Profiling

Yesterday I attended the second part of the grooming class which I attended a month back. This time the image consultant touched on body style and profile. Apparently, the perfect body length is eight heads, ie measure the length of your own head. For instance, the length of my head is seventeen centimetres (I always thought it is longer!) from forehead to chin. From the chin to the chest, and from the chest to the waist, each should be seventeen centimetres. This comprises of the upper body (three heads length).

From the waist to the crotch, another seventeen centimetres. From the crotch to the knee, two heads (crotch to the thigh, thigh to the knee, seventeen centimetres each), and from the knee to the ankles, another two heads (seventeen centimetres each). So by right, judging by eight seventeen centimetres, the perfect height for me should be one hundred and thirty-six centimetres! Hmmmm... I should stop griping about my height (or lack of!).

Apparently, my body shape is a soft hourglass (although I do not mind the top part being a bit bigger), and I have a longer upper body, longer rise (the area between the waist and crotch), shorter upper legs and proportionate lower legs. Which means no more low-rise hipsters for me! :-(

I have to stick with high-rise hipsters and bootcut jeans instead of straight cut! However, I am able to take ankle boots, ankle straps and knee-length boots pretty well. As well as short skirts and knee-length skirts! My shoulders are straight, which means I can take sleeveless, strappy and halter tops pretty well! :-)

The kinds of fabric I can take according to my body type is medium drape like pashminas, thin cottons, and fluid materials like chiffon. Looks like I am wearing all the right things so do not need a major wardrobe revamp! As for necklines, there are two balance points. The first is seventeen centimetres from the chin to the chest, that will be where my neckline ends.

The second is to use your thumb and little finger to measure from the widest part of the face to the chin, then use the length to measure from the base of the neck. Where the little finger touches below the neck is the second balance point. So when we wear tops, the neckline should end at either one of the balance points.

For instance, if I wear a top or dress that ends on the first balance point, I can wear a necklace that ends on the second balance point, vice versa. The required neckline should not end below the first balance point. There was someone who pointed out, what if we are wearing turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks? Where is the balance point?

The consultant said that those with short necks cannot wear turtlenecks (luckily I am one of those who can), so with turtlenecks, there is no balance point. What we can do is to match the turtleneck top with accessories and necklaces that end on either one of the balance points. This is what I have always been doing - whenever I wear a mock turtleneck top, I always wear a layered necklace over it!

One thing which I notice in general is that, is the informal dress code here T-shirts and jeans even for females? In both sessions, I was the only one who was wearing a dress with some makeup on, the rest were all in T-shirts and jeans sans makeup. And they were not school kids. Most of them are around my age!

Being girls, is it not our priviledge to dress well? Compared to guys, we have lots more varieties to play with. Whether to have a dress, or pants, or skirt combo, which top to go with, which accessories to match, which bag and shoes, what makeup look to carry off. It can be a real headache at times, but that is the fun of it, because we get to experiment with different kinds of looks and still look good (provided we can carry it off). So why stick with the normal Tee and jeans combo when there is a whole myriad of articles to play with?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...