Lilypie

Monday, June 23, 2008

Clearing Immigration ....

It had been so long since I have stepped into Malaysia, that it was the first time I was using the new checkpoint around the border on Saturday. As I renewed my passport four years back, it was not yet the biometric system, so I had to use the manual check-in for my passport to be stamped instead of the automatic fingerprint entry.

It was really a big crowd going across the border on Saturday morning! I know quite a number of people like to go across the Causeway during the weekends to shop. And there are quite a number of Malaysians living and working here who go home during the weekends (like my friend K for instance.) So it was a long queue at the checkpoint. Plus the hunt for the missing detainee is still on-going, so there are more stringent measures for people going across the Causeway.

When it was finally my turn to check in my passport, the guy asked to scan my thumbprint and my passport, then matched it with that of the missing detainee to see if they fit. Now, I find that really ridiculous! Yes, I know he is being cautious, I know his orders filtered from above, and I know the detainee has a possibility of going for plastic surgery, change a hairstyle, and produce fake credentials.

But is it not obvious that I am a full-bodied lady? No matter how rich or powerful his background or backing is, can it really be possible for him to suddenly grow inches shorter, and become a full woman in such a short period of time? I am not begrudging the poor guy at the immigration counter in doing his job, but at times, one can exercise some common sense, is it not, and save a lot of people's times at the same time.

Still, I managed to go through without any glitch. However, on our way back, it was a bit different. It was pretty late, so I had to use the automatic check-in (check-out?) back into Singapore. I think it is very obvious that I do not go across the border, because somehow I was not able to scan my passport into the machine properly, and the middle-aged man behind me had to tell me what to do.

After that, I had to do a thumbprint scanning before I could go past the gantry. For some reason, the machine was not able to detect my thumbprint. So the same "uncle" behind me told me to rub my face with my thumb and try again. This time round, my thumbprint was able to be detected, but because it was not detected twice, I had to report to the security counter for verification. Darn that terrorist! Making things difficult for everyone!

Anyway the security guy verified my particulars in a jiffy and let me through. So that concluded my day trip across the causeway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...