Lilypie

Monday, June 2, 2008

Fine Dining ....

I cannot believe it is already June! Half a year gone, just like that! I seriously wonder what exactly have I done for the past half a year or so? I guess I was busy with school and studies that I hardly got anything done. But one should have a focus in life. Set out which is more important, and then do away with whatever that is not absolutely essential. I have learnt through the years that it is not a good idea to juggle so many things, not that I am not juggling now, but still, I give priority to the few more important issues and just have to do without those that are not that important. Hopefully I will be able to achieve more things the next half year or so.

I went to a fantabulous dining place on Saturday night - a cosy French restaurant called Au Petit Salut, the one at Dempsey, although there is another one at Holland Village. Kudos to the chef, because almost everything was perfect! We ordered a la carte instead of the set, so started off with traditional French Onion soup (how can anyone go to a French restaurant and not have onion soup?), pan-friend onglet beef (medium) for me and roasted quail for my friend, and ended off with dessert, where I ordered Creme Brulee and he Orange Souffle. I had a glass of lychee martini, mixed to perfection!

The food is really good, the beef is perfectly medium and the creme brulee is on par with the one I had in England last year. Even the quail is tender and juicy (well, but then that was the first time I actually ate a bird other than chicken and the occasional duck, so there was no basis for any comparison, still it tastes pretty good). Service is good too, the waitress is polite yet not overbearing, and enthusiastic (too enthusiastic at certain times!). The only gripe is that the onion soup is a bit too bland, despite putting pepper in.

We were dining al fresco, but luckily it rained that afternoon, so the weather was not too hot and humid. The ambience is really nice, dimly lit, candlelight, with trees and the roadside just next to us. It kind of reminded me of the open restaurant in Gozo (Malta) which I went to last year, where the dining is by candlelight, with the restaurant being next to the sea. Compared to the Pump Room where we went for drinks after that (it has the worst Long Island Tea I ever tasted - too concentrated!), Au Petit Salut is really a highly recommended place to go to.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...