Lilypie

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Being Impressed ....

Our domestic helper is back! Finally!! Not that I mind cleaning the house, but I have come to the conclusion that either I do this full-time and work part-time, or else work full-time and find help. Yes, I know I am spoilt, but I also know I am not as capable as the few women I really look up to, who can cope with work, job, children, further studies and the house at the same time! But then again, when the time comes, perhaps I just have to learn and adjust a little, after all, when you have to do it, somehow or other you just have to find the time.

Talking about people I look up to, I admit I am not one to form a good impression that easily. Thus, most people I meet, if they do not turn me off, I will feel indifferent about them, ie no bad impression but no good impression either. Someone once observed that it takes a lot for me to be impressed, especially at a first meeting.

But for those I look up to, normally I do have a somewhat good impression of them at first instance. I am not referring to those I respect and hold in awe to (people like my mum and some of my relatives and some of the teachers who have taught me), but people who have become my close friends. So my criteria or expectations is not without basis, because it has been established in so many instances that there are certain people I tend to get along better with and whom I feel more comfortable with.

So the question is, what does it take to impress me? One of the guys I went out with recently said I seem to know what I really want, and my expectations are high, so he guessed he is not the type I am looking for. Hmmm... looks like I seriously need to examine how I behave. But what he said is not totally untrue as well, because I do not have a good impression of him, so just as well he is astute enough.

People who know me know I do not get impressed easily. One can be a lawyer or banker or director or what not, but job titles are just that - titles. Titles do not impress me that much. Neither do cars or houses. If I want to, I can get a car too, except I cannot drive and still do not see the need to get one. And if I want, I can get an apartment as well, except I do not find it that necessary for the time being.

Money and credit cards do not impress me too. With the affluent society lately, any normal working executive will have some moolah and credit cards to spare. I myself hold quite a number of cards too, although I need to cancel some already before I go out of control. All these are just material, superficial stuff.

Even talent does not impress me much nowadays. Talent as in musical talent. I used to envy those who are able to play professionally, but honestly, if I had pursued music then, I could have ended up being a professional player as well. I used to be captivated by a guy who holds a performance certificate in piano, but honestly, anyone who can read notes and have some basic techniques would be able to play well with some practice and dedication.

Okay, I know I sound really arrogant now, or shall I justify it by saying I have more self-confident now? I used to think I was a notch below others, but then I realise why do I have to keep demeaning myself this way? There are so many things I am capable of, so many things I love to do, so if others have a problem with it, it is their own problem and loss. I do not have to become a totally different person, and become so uncomfortable with myself just to suit others.

So what exactly impresses me? Articulation. Yes, I always have a weak spot for someone who is articulate, not just in speech, but in writing and expression. Again, being articulate does not mean writing poems or touching articles, it simply means the fluency of expression and being a good conversationalist.

Sense of humour. Someone who makes me laugh. It is getting really hard to find someone who still retains a sense of humour, because most people are bogged down with the many things in our lives that we have forgotten how to laugh at ourselves and at others. Sense of humour does not mean being corny or lame, it just means being able to laugh at yourself and make others laugh at the appropriate times with speech and gestures.

Zest for life. What can be more impressive than someone who thoroughly enjoys life, and willing to experience all the interesting things around? This also ties in with a rich life experience and exposure, rather than someone who is just stuck with the same things and unwilling to venture beyond familiarity.

Maturity. Mature does not mean old, rather it just means growth. Maturity comes with one's exposure, experiences, knowledge, wisdom. The more one learns, the more one grows. With growth comes wisdom and a different outlook and perspective. And it is with maturity that one knows what to do and how to behave, and what being responsible is all about.

So does it really take a lot to impress me? Hmmmm..... There are all kinds of people in this world. To some, what I state above is just something very basic, to others, they may think it is too much. But this is what has been working for me all these while, the kind of people whom I feel more of an affinity with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...