Lilypie

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Academic Learning Vs Work Experience

Nowadays I am thinking should one really study so much? As with many others, I have been brought up with the mentality that studies are everything, and for one to succeed, education, top scores and high qualifications count. So even though I hated studying, I still had to struggle to complete a tertiary education.


However, I realize that we learn more things out of school than actually in school. By the time we go out to work, whatever theories we learnt in school does not count. Experience gained is not on how well you did in school but actual practical experience.


For instance, back in school, we were never taught how to write a resume, how to organize files or categorise matters. For sure we were never taught how to deal with office politics, or how to record and justify matters.


Employers think that if we have a certain qualification, we would know how to do certain things, but truth be told, when everyone was so fresh, there were really a lot of things we did not know. Hence we started making stupid mistakes. The thing is, we did not know they were mistakes until we got reprimanded, and even then, some may not even know why they were reprimanded!


For sure back in school, we were not taught how to network or get along with people. True, teachers will ensure we did not fight and shared things with the rest, tried to cultivate teamwork, but still, we were not taught how to just talk to anyone. We were not being moulded into “people” persons, or “financially savvy” persons, but more of academic robots where just a bit of effort could get us the results we wanted.


We were also not taught how to deal with failure. For instance, someone could have the best grades all his life. Then when it came to work and he was put down, he took it very badly as it was a big bruise to his ego for having failed as he had never failed in his life before.


Which makes me wonder, should one then keep studying? I have friends who only have mere degrees but they are doing far better than those with Masters. I have friends who do not even have degrees but they are not doing that badly themselves as well. In fact, some are in a better job earning far more than me when my academic qualifications are even higher.


Come to think of it, I learnt more things out of school than actually in school. After the past few years and the experience gained, I do not believe I am not on par with a practitioner. I do not believe I am also not on par with an Accounts Executive.


However, this society being the way it is, as long as you do not have the appropriate qualifications, you will never be considered on par with those of the appropriate qualifications. How often have I felt disappointed when people turn their noses upon me just because I am not a practitioner, thus I should be of “lesser” calibre.


How often have I felt down because people deem me as someone who should be treated as an outcast just because I do not have the appropriate qualifications, thus should not behave as if I have the qualifications, and neither am I so low-ranking as the rest, thus I should not be bothered with.


Which is why I am still upgrading. One day, I will be in a job that fits the qualifications I achieve, and people will then treat me accordingly – not as an outcast or an in-between, but as an equal to those of higher ranking, yet also not too snooty for those lower-ranking. I just want to be treated with respect, whether I am of that rank or not.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...