Lilypie

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Central Business District

In my younger years, I could hardly wait to get out to work. Which was why I took an accelerated course in the university so I could start working and earning my keep fast. A stupid idea, now come to think of it. I should have just taken my time and enjoyed myself more. What possessed me to want to get out into the working world so fast, now that I wish I can go back to be a full-time student?

I guess I was captivated by corporate warriors in their corporate suits, fighting fire during board meetings, making themselves seem so important. I yearned to be like that. Why, I have no idea! I just thought it will be a sense of achievement to be one of those suited executives making boardroom decisions.

My first job was not a suited executive, and I did not make boardroom decisions. In fact, I was often thumbed down whenever I had ideas but they were not in line with policies and rules and procedures. I went in with the basis that I had a passion for the job, but after a few years, I could stand it no longer and decided to leave.

Hence I started fulfilling my childhood dream of being a suited executive in the business district. But reality is not the same as fantasy. I realise there is no need to wear any suits in the office. Even the men do not wear suits! I do not even need to wear the frumpy blouse and A-line skirt combination! And unless you are a director of the company, otherwise you never have to make any boardroom decisions.

I learnt that very early and was a tad disappointed. What really disappointed me further was I never even had to make any decisions, just had to follow instructions. After being able to make some decisions and having autonomy in my first job, it was quite a big change from being a sort of a leader to a mere follower. But work is work, unless I can live on air, otherwise I just have to do it.

Through the years, my career has been bouncy. I tried working in various places, but either I do not have the appropriate qualifications nor the experience. Until my big break came three years back. At that moment, I wanted so much to get out of the business district, and my wish came true, as I found a job that not only helped my career, but made me learn a lot and it was out of the business district as well!

I would not have left save for the unhealthy working environment which got worse through the years. Furthermore, I started to feel stagnated after two years. I have learnt whatever I could there and it was time to move on. Hence, a better job offer came at the right time, and now I am back to being a corporate lady (not a suited one though) in the business district.

I have forgotten how expensive things are in the Central Business District. I took for granted in my previous company, there is a convenience stall next to the building, so I could always go down for a tea break, buy some snacks and candy, and have my daily dose of chocolate. Then I cut down since I thought the things there are expensive.

Until I went back to the business district. Now, there is a convenience stall next to my office building too, so I go there sometimes to buy snacks and candy. However, the same items cost almost twice as much here as compared to my previous place! Five dollars could buy me quite a few things in the past, whereas now I can get only two items at the most!

The advantage is that because it is the business district with a very big lunch crowd, there is no lack of eating places here. Even though the place can get very crowded at times, at least the food is nice and cheap. There are no lack of eating places at my previous work place too (although not as much variety), and much less crowded, but the price of the food there is a killer! Now I can take the same food and quantity at just half the price! So I guess that kind of balances out!

Luckily my office is at the end of the business district, so the crowd is not that bad, as compared to the beginning and middle part. I used to work around that area, so I could hardly wait to get out of there as I felt so claustrophobic and uncomfortable due to the lunch crowd. Now that I am a bit further down, things seem better - for now that is!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...