Lilypie

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What I Want Out Of Life

Last week, my cousin's wife who is now a District Judge asked me why not go back into the practice, as in law firms or courts, and not in-house? She said now that I have practical experience it should be so much easier for me if I want to convert a barrister certificate to become an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court.

The thing is, I do not wish to start over at this age. Alright, I am not that old, but truth is, I am not that young too. I do not wish to compete with those fresh graduates who have a much longer way ahead of them. Furthermore, I have no idea if I am going to be in this line forever, or that I will even stay in this line in the next few years.

I have had enough of people telling me, why not do a course related to what I do, rather than just something irrelevant that will not help my career? The thing is, I am working so many hours a week, do I really want to do something related to my career when I want to stay away from work after office hours? Which is why I chose my passion, which to many people, is an impractical course that will not get me anywhere.

In my life time, there were only three things I have wanted to do. Law, education and arts, journalism and mass communications. The first two have been achieved, the last is still pending. Which is why I am taking something that can help me in venturing into the communications line. Even if it is not relevant to my current work, it will be relevant and useful one of these days, in whatever things I do.

In any case, it is time to think about what I want out of life. Somehow I have wasted ten years going around in circles, not achieving anything much. I used to think I can never be like my mum, but now with my newfound (not that new anymore) confidence, I believe I can achieve whatever she had achieved too! Only thing is I started ten years too late, so now I must strive even harder to achieve!

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

10 years of skills & experience are not wasted dear. They are people who actually failed and start all over again. They are also people who venture from one industry to another and then found the things that they like to do.

One of my ex-colleague who is a law graduate who ventured into law related marketing line, after marriage & a baby, went back to chamber and she's 32 this year.

Myself a law graduate has ventured into music & education, Financial Planning & Corporate Trust, Advertising & Event and now in wedding industry.

A lot of ppl think I wasted my youthful years and so diversed. I used to think something is wrong, too. However, I never regretted that the road I've chosen, which less travelled has led me to a wonderful career. My jigsaw puzzle is completed.

Dream big cos our God is a God of impossible. He will guide and lead you to something bigger. :)))

juphelia said...

Wow.. being diversed is good! You bring with you the experience with the different lines into whatever you will be doing next.

Here, the employers in general look for work experience. I first ventured into the education and music line, then got out of it and went back into law, but I had to start all over again since I did not have relevant experience.

I guess if I venture into another line, probably I have to start over again as well. But still, whatever experience I have had in my previous jobs will still come in useful!

Jacqueline said...

well after music & education, like you, I joined the financial planning & corporate trust world without any single knowledge of it. 1st week into will writing, I was seconded to Corporate trust unit. I knew no nuts about private debt securities or REITs!

Trust me, whatever you do, you WON'T start all over again .. at least mid-way! I find that is very true. Why?!

Whatever experiences you have gained along the way, you will definitely still use it, just different products! *wink*

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...