Lilypie

Friday, October 23, 2009

Bad Eggs Come In Threes ....

I have been trying to refrain from grumbling, complaining, cursing and swearing, et al, for some time. But in just a week, three different people have irritated the hell out of me. People who really know me know how outspoken I can be, so to be totally quiet is really unlike me. It took all of my grace and manners not to kick up a big fuss!

First was last Sunday, when I met up with friends at a train station before proceeding to the harbour to take the ferry to Batam for our Rempang teaching mission. There was a drink stall that was doing business at that hour of the morning. Since I was thirsty, my dear went to get two drinks for us.

The drinks stall is situated just at the edge of the train station. We were standing away from the gantry, nearer the walkway. The drink stall is just about a metre behind where we were standing! So when we started drinking, a guy who came out of the gantry suddenly told us off that "no drinks allowed".

Who did he think he was? We were not in the train nor past the gantry! We were outside a drinks stall for goodness sake! In that case, does it mean there should be no food and beverage stalls scattered along the train station then? Still, my friend told me not to let that guy spoil our day.

The next incident happened on Tuesday. My dear and I were hitching a cab home after the sumptuous dinner. There was a cab in front of us dropping off a passenger. There was another cab coming up. It was a premium cab, hence the charges were higher.

But that was not the reason why we did not take that cab. Since we already had a cab in front of us, we decided to wait for the passenger to alight before taking that. However, after the passenger had alighted, the driver remarked that she was not picking up anymore passengers, and drove off.

So the premium cab behind us then went onto the spot just vacated by the previous cab. Before we even got in, the driver said in a sarcastic tone, "Twenty cents difference only, cannot afford is it?" I was so pissed! Who does he think he is? It is our choice which cab to take! Does he think everything is to do with money?!

Then when I told him where we wanted to go, he asked if I was going to I road. So I said yes, I am staying around there. But the direction the cab came from happened to be at the other junction, where S road is. (My house is accessible from all North, South, East, West and Central directions.) I road would be coming from the West, S road would be from Central and South.

So anyway, since he was coming from that direction, I told him to turn left at a traffic junction, because if he was going to I road, he would have to go further up and make another U-turn, and the traffic at that point has always been heavy.

But when I told him where to turn, he said in a sarcastic tone, "That is not going to I road, it is going to S road." I said, "Yes, I know, just turn in." Does he think I do not know the way to my own house?! And he still tried to prove himself right and refused to take directions from me! When I told him to turn left, he went straight. Luckily my house is near the corner, so it is rather accessible no matter which way he turns!

I was so pissed when he finally dropped us off! What kind of attitude is that?! Who is he to remark which cab we want, look down on us for a mere twenty cents (according to him), and still insist he knows the way to my house better than I do, when I have been living there for almost sixteen years?!

The last one was on Wednesday, after the photoshoot. I mentioned the pushy studio manager who kept convincing us to get the VIP package. The thing is, we were at the photoshoot just for fun, since my dear have always wanted to go for one. We never intended to get anything else. It is our right to say no, yet why did the manager kept insisting?

He said if we are to get married, the package will cost much more, said that his price is already very reasonable. Yes, we know all that, but honestly, by the time I get married, I will have my own plans in mind, so I do not need his services! It is not the cost but the necessity. We really do not need their services! Which part of that does he not understand?

Again, he said if it is due to the money, we can always negotiate. But we have to keep emphasising that it is not the money, we just do not need it. Yet he kept insisting at the end just boils down to money. And he even said it does not matter to him even if we do not get it, since there will be others who are willing to get it.

Now what kind of attitude is that? Is that the way to get business? When we stood our ground and insisted no, he had a sudden attitude change and was even reluctant to talk to us anymore, when he was so polite and warm in the beginning!

The thing is, if people are in this kind of line, they should expect rejection. Firstly, not many people can afford their packages. Secondly, even if they can afford, it may not be necessary. My money can be better spent elsewhere and not on something which I may not even need in the end!

Still, I like the way my dear told him off. I am still so proud of him for that! Thank goodness the week is about to end. Hopefully next week (and the subsequent weeks) will be much better!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...