Lilypie

Friday, October 9, 2009

Lesson From A Burnt Toast

I received this email which I find really meaningful.

When I was a little boy, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage, and extremely burned toast in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Yet all my dad did was reach for his toast, smile at my mom, and ask me how my day was at school.

I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that toast and eat every bite! When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the toast.

And I'll never forget what he said. 'Baby, I love burned toast.'

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night, and I asked him if he really liked his toast burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, 'Little Buddy, your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt toast never hurt anyone! You know, life is full of imperfect things...and imperfect people. I personally am not the best at some things either.'

What I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults - and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship. We could extend this to any relationship in fact - as understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!!"

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - but into your own. No one else can MAKE you happy, Your happiness is a choice you make. People will always forget what you do, and they will always forget what you say, but they will never, ever forget the way you make them feel.

Yes, no one is perfect. We are always looking for someone who is like this and like that. Why? If a man is a high-flier, it means he can afford to give me a good life, can afford to bring me travelling anytime to any exotic place, and we can travel in luxury instead of staying in a dorm and sharing the bathroom with others.

If he is intellectual, he can expose me to all kinds of things I would otherwise never be exposed to. If he is articulate and eloquent, he is fun to be with, and exciting and let me explore places. If he is financially savvy, he can give me a secure life, I can afford not to work.

But then again, we have to examine ourselves. We are not like that. If we want someone to be everything we ask for, then are we willing to put up with everything else? His faults, his quirks? Cash rich people may not necessary make good companions as they may be too self-focused to care for others.

Similarly, are we at that standard before we ask for someone of that standard? We are not perfect ourselves. So if we are unwilling to compromise, then how can we expect others to compromise for us?

Hence, accepting each other's faults and tolerating each other's quirks are what makes a relationship last. You know how he / she is like, warts and all, and still willing to be with the person because you know its their quirks and faults that make them who they are - someone unique and special for you to love.

Happiness is when you know you want to be with someone and willing to make the person happy, and seeing the person happy makes you really happy, and not the other way round.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

thanks for sharing :)

juphelia said...

Glad you like it! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...