Lilypie

Monday, October 26, 2009

Mahjong Galore!

I do not come from a mahjong family. As in, none of my family members (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) play mahjong. My entire family does not indulge in the vices like smoking (ok, there were a couple of smokers from the older generation, that is about it), drinking (except for social and light drinking), or gambling (no mahjong, no card games, except for light UNO, Gin Rammy and Blackjack, but we do not play with money).

Strange right? Normally for Chinese families, in a big family setting, people always play mahjong or gamble. But we do not. My family believes in family bonding, so when we have the big get-togethers, they will sit around, feast and chat. Hence, either people are overwhelmed by the big gatherings as most come from small nuclear families nowadays, or they deem it strange that we have so many people at the gatherings yet not a single one plays mahjong.

So I was not brought up to play mahjong. The only times I attempted mahjong was the computer mahjong and a celebration with some friends who were all mahjong addicts. The game itself is pretty addictive actually!

For some reason, I was asked for two mahjong sessions last week. The first one lasted six hours. I could still remember which pair and which sequence, but I have totally forgotten the exact calculation of opening sequence, what tiles needed to win, and whatnot. Hence I was quite confused in the beginning.

But after shuffling the tiles, losing a few rounds and winning due to a big stroke of luck, I managed to get the hang of the game. In fact, it is a rather good game to exercise your brain. It helps in quick thinking, strategising and analysing, plus improves your powers of observation. I wonder why no one in my family thought of playing? In any case, we do not play with real money, not as if we play big stakes and lose hundreds at one go! It is just a fun and friendly game.

The thing is, the first two or three times I played, I was so nervous and could hardly know what was going on, only followed what others did. Then after that I did not play for the next four or five years. Until recently when I was asked to go for a mahjong session again.

Yet this time round, I am able to grasp the concept rather quickly. I wonder is it because I have played before hence able to catch it fast, or for some reason my intelligence level has increased? I hope it is the latter though!

In any case, it had been two great games, coupled with food, great company and nice drinks! It is a good way of bonding, having fun and chatting at the same time!

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

The maternal side of my family all know how to play mahjong, but somehow my mum didn't learn the game. As a result, all her kids (me included) are mahjong illiterate. Maybe it's high time I learn how to play mahjong!

juphelia said...

It is very addictive, but a good way to exercise your brain prowess. Would encourage you to learn. Who knows perhaps one day I may just make a trip down (or you make a trip up) and we have a chance to play together? ;-p

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...