Lilypie

Friday, February 26, 2010

Making Sago Gula Melaka

I will be going to a Peranakan-themed pot luck party tomorrow night, so I was thinking what food to prepare. Initially I thought of making mee siam but it will be too time-consuming. Due to my schedule, I need to prepare the food tonight, store it then bring to the party tomorrow. Hence mee siam is not feasible and practical.

So I thought of sago gula melaka. It is easy to prepare with just a few ingredients, able to prepare in advance and makes a good dessert after all the food and partying.

Hence sago gula melaka it is. I had to make about twenty so I estimated the ingredients and bought them accordingly.

This evening, after the intensive cycling training, I started the preparation. This was the first time I am making sago gula melaka but luckily I did not do that badly (I think)!

A pity I did not manage to snap any photos otherwise the recipe will be more authentic! Initially I thought there would not be enough to go around but I was able to make twenty-four bowls!

This was the recipe I used :

2 packets or 600 grams of sago seeds
1 litre of water
1 kilograms of grated coconut
3 packets or 600 grams of gula melaka (brown sugar)
6 pandan leaves
2 teaspoons of salt
More water (for gula melaka and coconut)

1. Place the sago seeds into 1 litre of water and submerge for ten minutes.

2. Heat the sago seeds in the water under a low heat, stirring all the way until the mixture thickens.

3. Simmer the sago mixture.

4. Squeeze 250 mililitres of coconut milk from the grated coconut.

5. Pour the coconut milk with one teaspoon of salt into the sago mixture.

6. Stir until the mixture thickens until it cannot be stirred anymore.

7. Ladle out the sago mixture into individual containers and chill.

8. Melt the gula melaka in 600 mililitres of water and four pandan leaves, stirring the mixture along.

9. Once the sugar is all melted, strain the syrup into a bowl and leave it to settle.

10. Take the remaining coconut and drain out 500 mililitres of coconut milk.

11. Tie 2 pandan leaves into a knot and pour the coconut milk into a pot together with the pandan leaves.

13. Add in one teaspoon of salt into the coconut milk and heat it until the smell of the pandan leaves have been absorbed.

14. Pour the coconut milk into a bowl and leave it to set.

15. To serve, pour one tablespoon of gula melaka into each sago and top it off with some coconut milk.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Juphelia, I love sago pudding with gula Malacca.
I guess from your mention, you have a Black Belt in culinary skills....wayyyyyy to go!
By the way, you make kueh bingka? If you do send me a telegram, ha ha. Just kidding.

You have a pleasant weekend, stay young and keep a song in your heart, best regards, Lee.

juphelia said...

Haha.. I can't really cook that well! IF its simple dishes here and there, still ok, but I'm still far away from cooking up a full gourmet meal!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...