Lilypie

Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Odd Oddball

I do not know why I seem to be prone to meeting weird people. Somehow the kinds of people, guys especially, that I have met are odd in their own ways. So I despaired of ever finding a normal guy. I was prepared to give up and just stay single. But then again, I thought my dear was a weirdo too (he still is in some ways) when I first met him, and he did not turn out too bad in the end!

In any case, I do not really have a good impression of local Chinese guys. Those I know are either chauvinistic, autocratic, whiny, childish, mummy's boys or lacking in social graces.

Ok not just Chinese guys, local guys in general. I am not sure if it is due to the comfortable lifestyle we have that many local guys nowadays are too spoilt, throw tempers and think perverse thoughts if things do not go their way, or just not willing to strive and be stuck where they are.

That is why for a period of time I much rather prefer hanging out with foreigners as they give me a better impression than locals. I am not saying all foreigners are good or that all locals are bad, but somehow the ones I have met happen to be this case.

Luckily the weirdos I met have decreased and the more normal and decent people I have met have increased. I have a great group of fun-loving and nice friends whom we hang out with sometimes.

Hence when I come across the odd oddballs nowadays, I am more amused and bemused than anything else.

We all have our own quirks, some more than others, but this guy I know takes the cake! I am not the only one who finds him repulsive, the few times he joined my friends for outings, everyone also found him weird and requested never to invite him again!

The first time I met him was at a party I gave at my place last year. We did not talk much but after that, he sent me an email asking if I would like to attend the Cats musical.

Since I wanted to watch the musical, I agreed. Then he sent me another email, saying he had bought the tickets. If I could not make it that day, I could ask any of my other girl friends to replace and he would not ask them to pay. Whereas for me, it is up to me whether I wanted to pay as he "is a nice guy".

Nearing the day of the concert, he asked about dinner. Since he already paid for the tickets, I thought to pay for the dinner. So he suggested Tony Romas. I had a full lunch that day so I said I would not be eating much. He then ordered a seafood platter for four when there were only two of us.

He just ate and ate. When he could not finish, he actually asked the waitress to put the leftovers in a bag and he brought the food along into the theatre!

I could hardly believe it! The meal cost me S$98.00 but the cost is not the issue. The issue is that why must he order so much food when there were only two of us? And he packed the food into the theatre?

Besides, I did not know whether was it because I said I would buy dinner, hence the expensive meal? For normal people, if anyone is to buy me dinner, even if we pick a nice place, I would not order so much food or such an expensive meal. Not that I am being calculative but one does not take advantage of others like that. None of my friends do that even when I buy them a meal!

When we went into the musical, during the intermission, he asked how I would be going home. I told him it was the intermission hence I was not going home yet. He looked surprised that the concert was not over yet.

When the musical ended, he scooted off immediately without even saying goodbye as he wanted to catch the last bus, leaving me to walk ten minutes to the train station to go home.

A few weeks later he asked me for a movie. Since I happened to be free I agreed. After that he sent me a message, saying he had booked the tickets so since he would be paying for the show, why not I treat him to ice cream? I felt a bit disgusted after reading that. I have no qualms treating him but why must he make it sound as if I am obligated and must get him ice cream just because he got the tickets?

The day of the movie I was held up and told him to proceed with lunch first. When I reached the venue I met him at a shop where he was staring at fish on the big screen.

He told me he had not had lunch yet as he was waiting for me. So we went to a little cafe for lunch where I realised he chose that place because he had a voucher for a free meal.

After the meal he reminded me of the ice cream treat and brought me to Swensen's, but there was a private function that day. So we proceeded to Ben & Jerry's but it also had a private function.

Yet he still insisted on the ice cream and we went to Haagen Daz. He then ordered an ice cream set that cost S$24.00 and ate all up on his own, every bit on his plate!

I felt so disgusted! When we went into the movie I discovered he bought seats on the first row at the side, without even asking if the seats are ok. Who in the world will buy front row aisle seats in a cinema? Needless to say I had a sore neck after the show.

After that when he asked me for a show again, I told him I was watching already. When he asked again, I said the same thing. I did this partly because I was really watching the show already but also because I really did not enjoy his company.

Then he asked me, why did I not let him know I was already watching the show and why did I not ask him for movies anymore? That kind of riled me. Who in the world does he think he is that I must tell him what I do and only ask him for movie?! Does he own me that I cannot ask anyone else?!

My friends could not stand him as well. One movie outing we went on, someone bought popcorn for everyone. The guy sitting next to him later remarked he just took one big basket of popcorn all to himself and did not even offer to anyone. After the show, he just disappeared without saying bye to anyone as he needed to catch the bus before it was too late. Does he even know there is such a thing as a Night Rider and Night Owl services that cover all areas from eleven thirty to five in the morning?

Another time a group of us had a seafood dinner and durian outing. This weirdo kept saying it was his birthday. To me, it is no big deal disclosing your birthday but why do it in such a showy and expectant way?

So during the dinner, he asked if he could order bamboo clams as a birthday treat. It is fine with me since it was his birthday so I ordered for him.

When the food came, the guys said to let the ladies take the food first. So we girls took turns in taking the food on the lazy susie.

When it came to me, I was just taking some vegetables. Before my chopsticks even left the dish, suddenly that weirdo's chopsticks swooped in and he took a big chunk of vegetables from the same dish and just started eating.

I was so angry! Firstly it was so rude to just take when someone else had not finished taking. Secondly it was even ruder to take such a big chunk and start eating when the rest only took small chunks and waiting for everyone else. Thirdly it was so ungentlemanly to take first when everyone agreed to let the ladies take first!

What was the ultimate was that when his order of bamboo clams arrived, he ate up everything without leaving any for anyone else. And he did not even offer to pay for that dish! Yes I know it was his birthday and all but it was still no excuse not to have basic table manners!

When we finished dinner and went on to eat durians, he ate up all the seeds of the durian nearest to him when everyone else shared the durians amongst themselves!

Everyone was so angry with him that they specially requested not to invite him for any outing ever again!

So we never contacted him again. I thought I was finally rid of him until he suddenly messaged me two weeks back, asking if the evening show on 14 February or the morning show on 15 February would be better for me.

In the first place, since when have I even agreed to watch a show with him? In the second place, those dates are Lunar New Year, no one would be free. Surely he should know that, being a Chinese himself!

So I said it's Chinese New Year, I will not be free. Then a few days back, he messaged me again, saying he would book tickets for 16 February. He did not even deem to ask if I would be free or if I even want to meet him in the first place!

I told him 16th is still New Year period, so still not free. I thought finally he would get the message when this morning, I received another message from him, wishing me happy Valentine's Day (not Happy New Year) and said he would proceed to book tickets for the 16th today.

I was so angry! Which part of my messages did he not understand? I sent a message and told him off, saying he is not my valentine, that I am not free on the 16th, that I hate people who just make decisions for me without telling me and just assume I will go along.

Just who does this guy think he is?! Even my boyfriend never makes any decisions without telling me first. Whatever decisions he have, he always tells me or we discuss together. He does not assume I am free or take for granted I will definitely do as he asks.

That weirdo never replied after that. Hopefully he will never reply or contact me again! Good riddance! Oh and did I mention another big turn off is his body odour?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Goodness me.

And I thought I qualify to be called a penny pincher. This guy beats me easy.

You do meet "interesting" people...

juphelia said...

Yeah, unfortunately. At times I wish my life is less "interesting"! ;-p

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...