Lilypie

Saturday, February 6, 2010

What Is It With Men And SLRs?

I always thought it would be great to be with someone who enjoys photography. I love taking travel photos, food as well as photos during outings.

In my family, I am like the unofficial photographer. My parents rely on my camera whenever we go travelling. None of my brothers have a camera; they always borrow mine whenever they need to take any photos.

None of the guys I have been with or went out with like photography. Even if they take photos, it would be just various highlights of the place and not go snap snapping away like I do.

So it is a good thing that my guy enjoys photography. But what I do not really like is the DSLR he carries around.

What is it with guys and DSLRs anyway? They are so expensive, bulky to carry around, troublesome in lens changing, and the quality of the pictures do not even look anymore different or sharper than my digicam!

Men spend thousands on one camera and a couple of lenses, yet blame women for spending a few hundred on clothes or books? Who is the one who spends more here?

A friend who got married a few months back actually banned her husband from lugging around his DSLR during their honeymoon as she did not want him to be so focused on taking photos, making sure all angles are right and changing lenses and totally ignoring her.

I used to think that was drastic but I am starting to understand now. Once a man has a DSLR and happily snapping away, all other things and people cease to exist! It is as if time stands still for him.

I am so tempted to enforce that rule too. He is not allowed to bring his DSLR anywhere. What is wrong with my camera? My new camera can take wide angle and zoom too! So instead of lugging such a bulky thing around, why can he not use a small compact one that can fit snugly in his pocket?

I went as far as forbidding him to use his DSLR ever again! But then upon consideration, just like he always puts up with my whims and fancies, it will be rather unreasonable if I take away the only form of indulgence he is really passionate about.

So I relented. No matter how much I dislike it, still I cannot deny him that pleasure. Afterall it is not like he has any other vices - he does not smoke (not now) nor drink excessively (just socially) nor gamble (no lottery or any form of numbers too) nor womanise nor spends excessively and unnecessary.

Compared to all these, photography is nothing. Just like I have my own indulgences, so do everyone. Hence I agreed he can continue using on condition he cannot lose track of the surroundings, and most importantly, cannot be so focused on taking photos that he cast me aside!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Julie Lim said...

I think for a guy, carrying a DSLR is a good boost for the ego. Imagine a huge burly guy using a small compact camera to take photos. I bet he would look funny!

juphelia said...

I have seen guys carrying small compact cameras and they feel pretty comfortable taking pictures with those too! It's more practical and handier.

That said, if DSLRs are an ego-boost to men, then it's a very expensive one indeed!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...