Lilypie

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Bible In A Nutshell

Yesterday marked the start of the first day of the Catholicism class which I signed up for. The instructor is a prominent figure in the circle, literally the right hand man of the Archbishop.

The session was on Scriptures. The Monsignor gave us a handout summarizing the entire Bible in a nutshell.

Now I know the Old Testament, otherwise known as Hebrew Scriptures, is divided into four sections - Law, Historical, Prophets and Wisdom.

The New Testament is divided into three sections - Gospels and Acts, Letters and Wisdom of St Paul, and Other Writings (also known as Catholic Epistles).

There is something which I am always curious about : Why is the Bible used by Catholics different than that used by the other Christians? Which is the "true" or "full" version then?

There was no time for questions yesterday, so maybe I will ask that the next lesson if there is time.

I always thought bible studies is only for the really staunch and religious. I am not the kind who go to mass everyday. Or even days of obligations like Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday or All Saints Day.

Even when I am out with Catholic or Christian friends, we do not spout the Bible or start and end every sentence with God. They are actually more fun-loving people than "holy" people.

So I never thought I will be someone who can stand bible studies. If it is not because of the decision to teach Cathechism, I would never have thought I would register for a one-year class on religion.

But now I am glad I did. This course will not just benefit me, but the kids I am taking, as I will be more enriched to transfer my knowledge to them. Afterall, knowledge gained will never be gone!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...