Lilypie

Monday, January 3, 2011

An Amazing Woman ...

Yesterday I met an amazing woman for lunch. It was a group lunch so I did not really manage to speak with her, and she is more his friend than mine.

Still, it was a great pleasure meeting her. She is pretty, tall, elegant, smart and she was from my school too, several batches my senior.

She was a former Miss Singapore Universe, has both a Masters in Arts in General Linguistics and a Masters in Science in Information Systems (and she was pursuing the two Masters concurrently while juggling a full-time job and preparing for the Miss Singapore and Universe pageants), and a PhD in General Linguistics. She married and is now exchanging discourse and discussions with all the great academics around the world.

Which is why I say she is an amazing woman! Who says women cannot have it all - beauty, elegance, sophistication, brains, family, education and friends? She is such an inspiration that I yearn so much to be like her!

Unfortunately men (at least in local context) get put off by smart, successful and educated women. Many men here still want trophy girlfriends - a woman who is seen but not heard, someone pretty whom he can show off to others, yet someone who is not that smart so he can still control her. Hence the more educated and sophisticated women here tend to remain single because the men do not seem to be able to have the confidence to date better-quality women.

Which is why she is my inspiration because here is one woman who truly has it all! And no, her husband is not local, hence not feel overwhelmed or put off by her elegance and intelligence.

How I wish I can be like her too! Perhaps one day I can also add a couple of Masters and even a PhD to my name! And I will also still have a partner and a few kids in tow too at the same time!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...