Lilypie

Saturday, January 8, 2011

ASEAN Women's Rights And Child Protection

Today we went for a talk given by AWARE (a female rights group) on the role and treatment of women in Asia. Initially I thought the talk would touch on how women were discriminated around the ASEAN region, but it turned out that the talk was more on the various (or lack of) support groups that are helping the women who were discriminated.

I am not really a feminist, although some may disagree. I go for events like these for information sake, but I do not go all out to fight for equality of the sexes.

All I am saying is that, with the evolution of society, the roles of men and women are now less defined. There is no longer things like an exclusively man's job or an exclusively woman's job anymore. In this case, there should be less gender discrimination and more equality in terms of pay packages.

In any case, it was a rather interesting talk. It is good to know that women around the region can find help and support too, that they are not alone in their sufferings.

There are more interesting talks coming up, but I am so tied up until February that I do not think I have the time to attend any of those. Hopefully more of these interesting talks will come along throughout the year!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...