Lilypie

Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Month Of Plays

With May Day and the month of merry May, I have a few exciting cultural activities lined up. It just so happened that almost everything is happening in May. First up, I will be watching the local play "Rabbit Hole". I did not have the intention of watching this, but it came highly recommended by a friend. His exact words were "even if you have to skip movies, do go watch this", so I know it must be good. The plotline sounds a lot like the Nicole Kidman movie though. Nevertheless, I managed to book tickets and watch it next week.

Next it will be the annual Shakespeare In The Park. This time they will be showcasing "Othello". The past few years have been comedies, starting from "Midsummer Night's Dream" (which I missed unfortunately), followed by "Much Ado About Nothing", "MacBeth" (which I missed again), and last year it was "Twelfth Night". Hence I am really looking forward to "Othello" and see how this tragedy comes alive!

After that will be "Charlotte's Web". This is a children's play. I have read the book, numerous times. I have watched the movies - both the cartoon and film versions. Now I cannot wait to see how the story will come alive on stage! I wonder if there will be real live animals? Although from the looks of things, the "animals" will most likely be played by humans.

Finally around late May, there will be "Dirty Dancing", the movie that made the late Patrick Swayze famous. I have not watched the movie as it was before my time, but I have heard the songs, and seen some of the dance sequences. So I am really looking forward to the stage version!

That wraps up the cultural activities in May. There are others of course, like a night of music from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, but unfortunately, it will occur during the time I will be away. And of course, not to mention the return of the "Phantom of the Opera"! This year is really a good year for cultural events. I only hope the musical version of "Les Miserables" will return soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...