Lilypie

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Down The Rabbit Hole

Last year I watched a movie called "Rabbit Hole", starring Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart. Last night, I went to watch a local production of the play "Rabbit Hole", on the same plot and theme. I am not a fan of local productions, even though I have seen a few good ones, but yet I like the local play more than the movie version!

Both the movie and the play is on a couple who have lost their son, their different ways of grieving and how they finally came to terms, or tried to come to terms, with it. Even though this is a story with only a few characters, the whole storyline is pretty good. While the movie version is more solemn, the play is more light-hearted, yet both versions are intellectual and intense. For a more detailed review, please refer to my book and movie blog.

Why the title "Rabbit Hole"? For both the movie and play versions, right at the end, when the main character talked to the teenager who accidentally caused her son's death in order to find closure, it was explained in a story the teenager wrote to dedicate to the dead son, that when his story characters fall into a rabbit hole, it is like going into a parallel universe, where anything is possible.

Hence for the mother dealing with her grief, she has to open up her rabbit hole to find a parallel universe where her son is happy, and she can finally come to a closure and move on with her life. Which is why the rabbit hole is the theme of the whole story, to be able to go in and find yourself again.

I wish I have my own rabbit hole to find too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...