Lilypie

Friday, May 17, 2013

Modernised Version Of The Moor

I just came back from watching "Othello", this year's production of "Shakespeare In The Park". Unlike previous years where I had a pavilion seat, this year I was sitting at the general area, which means I had to get a picnic mat and sit on the grass. Since it rained earlier, the grass was still wet. But because it rained, the weather was pretty good for an outdoor play, not too hot and not rainy!

From where I was seated, I could see almost the whole of the screen. This rendition of Othello was set in modern times, in a modern army base camp. The actors wore modern army camouflage uniform, and there are modern equipment like tanks, cars, news reports and even a helicopter!

Otherwise the play followed almost directly word for word in the book. To be honest, I am not very impressed with this version. I know it is good effort on the part of the production team, and I guess they need an updated version to capture the audience, but personally, I feel Shakespeare is not Shakespeare unless it is authentic. 

Afterall, how can anyone do justice to the man who invented so many words, phrases and idioms that are being used in the English language even now? How can anyone even pay tribute to a man who singlehandedly made the English language into the same class as that of Latin and French? Who can ever revamp the English language as he did? Since then, English Literature is not English Literature if not a single Shakespeare's work is studied.

So even though Othello is a good rendition, I find it not authentic. Maybe I am more hardcore, but I would prefer it more if it is really set in those times, five hundred years ago, instead of modern times. Somehow it just does not cut it with modern settings and Shakespeare speak at the same time.

I hope the next production of Shakespeare In The Park will follow the story more authentically!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...