Lilypie

Thursday, May 9, 2013

My New Suit ...

My new swimsuit came today! It is a blue printed tankini halter top, with matching boyleg shorts, and even a matching scrunchie to tie up my hair! Perfect for a beach vacation! This is the sixth swimsuit I own currently, even though I hardly swim, or rather, I hardly swim here.

I am not much a water person, as can be attested to the fact that I have not swum in ten years. In fact, my recent trip to Redang, I swam more in two days then ten years combined! This is how long I have not swam, but then I am not someone who likes going to swimming pools in the first place. 

I always find swimming a more troublesome sport than anything else, because one has to bring gear, goggles, cap, and then shower materials, plus a change of clothing, unlike other kind of sports where you can just wear any old thing and run or jog or cycle instead of bringing so many things to change.

However, I do enjoy beach holidays. Walking by the beach, wading in the water, seeing the sunset and enjoying the peace and tranquility ... I only wish I can have this kind of getaway ever so often!

Of course, a beach holiday is not a beach holiday if one does not pack a swimsuit. I remember the last swimsuit I had that my mum bought me when I was twelve. It was a one-piece suit and I used it for the compulsory swimming lessons my school made us take when I was in lower secondary. Since then I used it for years, all the way until I was in my early twenties! That proves that I stopped growing since secondary school!

My first beach holiday was three days in Bintan. Needless to say, I wanted to pack swimsuits as I thought we would be swimming for all days. I thought since I was already an adult, I ought to pick my own swimsuit, so I went searching for a bikini. I managed to find one set of olive green bikini and one set of pink bikini. By a stroke of luck, one of the female magazines that time gave away a free set of bikini, so I also got a set of green bikini. Unfortunately, I ended up with that time of the month the day before the holiday, so I could not show off my new bikinis.

Later on I discovered I no longer had the body for bikinis, and a guy I was dating then invited me for a swim. So I decided to get another swimsuit. I did not like those one-piece swimsuits as I wanted one that could flatter whatever figure I had yet still hid all my flabs. Hence I settled on a blue tankini, with floral prints. The spaghetti strap top covered my tummy and the matching bottom covered my bum so it was perfect! The set also came with a free matching wraparound skirt.

Since then, I took the tankini set everywhere I went, to New Zealand for the hot spring, to Phuket for the snorkelling, and the bikinis I had were just packed as extra just in case. In fact, I hardly ever utilise the bikinis now because I am too ashamed to go out in a full bikini with my burgeoning figure.

Last year I happened to come across swimdresses. Apparently swimsuits are so sophisticated now that one can wear from the pool or a beach direct to a party after that! Hence the swimdress. It is made of swimsuit material, yet at the same time one can wear it as a dress without any extra cover up. It is casual enough to walk on the beach, yet chic enough to go to a beach party with it. 

What does a swimdress look like? It is a one-piece swimsuit with a short skirt attached. Some of these come with detachable skirts. In fact, swimdress looks more like a dress than a swimsuit. One would not think it is a swimsuit unless we see one swimming in it. 

I thought it was a good idea to wear that on vacations, so I bought one white and yellow swimdress, which I have worn to Sarawak and Redang. The material is good, soft, comfortable and dries up fast after being in the water.

For my upcoming Israel trip, I would have the chance to dip in the Dead Sea. After all the reviews I read about colour fading off from the clothes due to the high salt content, as well as certain clothes cannot be worn because of the religion there, I started racking my brains on what I can or cannot wear.

Definitely I would not be able to wear a bikini. My next option is the tankini, but the bottom part is not allowed on the basis the shorts are too short. If I wear the swimdress, what if I spoil the material and the colour runs, especially since it is a white background? The swimdress is one item I intend to own for a long time, so I do not wish for anything to happen to it.

In the end, the perfect solution is to wear a swimsuit that is not only conservative, and I need not worry about the colour running out. So I started searching, and finally came across a perfect swimsuit - the blue halter tankini top with half-covered back, and boyleg shorts for the bottom. It also comes with a free matching scrunchie! Conservative swimsuit, dark colour so even if the colour runs it is hardly noticeable, and good material, plus a scrunchie to tie up my hair while soaking in the Dead Sea! And the price does not hurt too!

So now that I have more swimsuits, perhaps it is an excuse that I can plan more beach holidays and getaways from now on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...