Lilypie

Friday, May 10, 2013

Another Regional Opportunity

When I first started this job last July, I intended to just stay on and not move, since I have moved quite a bit in previous years. In fact, before this job, I thought my career would be carved out in my previous job, but alas, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to exit, hence ended up in my current workplace.

My current job is fine. I am pretty satisfied here. The working environment is pleasant, colleagues are nice and jolly, and my immediate superior is good. I like working with him because he gave me back my confidence and entrusted me with more tasks without needing to check with him how to do. So I did have the intention to stay on for a while.

Few weeks back, a headhunter approached me, about a job opportunity in a European multinational corporation. I turned her down initially because I thought since I was not moving, would not even want to waste my time checking out.

However, a few weeks later, she approached me again for the same role. Apparently, that company had been rather selective over their candidates, so have not been able to find a suitable person. She asked if I was willing to explore. Since she asked me again, I thought why not? Just go explore, no strings attached.

So she set up an interview with me which I went on Monday. It was a panel of three Caucasians, I had a chat with them, and then I had to do a written test on contract drafting. I thought that was that, and felt I did not do a good job with the written test anyway.

Imagine to my surprise when my headhunter called me yesterday, saying they were willing to offer me! Not only that, I would be given a fifteen percent uplift from my current remuneration package, with good variable bonus, and generous medical and dental benefits and days of annual leave.

It is really a very attractive offer! I was in two minds over whether to accept or not. If I accept, then I would be moving on again considering I have only been in this company for just slightly less than a year. And who is to say the new company would necessary be better?

However, in terms of career prospects and learning ground, definitely the multinational corporation can give me a much better deal. I will be exposed to regional work, and the kind of work I will be doing will definitely let me learn much more, because the current company I am working in now is a local small medium enterprise in a niche market, so after a while, there is nothing much to learn and no further prospect.

My headhunter said the company would prefer an answer today, so I told her I will be willing to accept the offer. Taking in view my vacation time next month for my trip, they are allowing me to start end of June. The offer letter will come in next week, and if all goes well, I can submit my resignation letter.

Hopefully this time round things will really turn out well and I can stay on so will not keep moving! I am keeping my fingers crossed that the working environment is good and pleasant so I can stay on for a while at least.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...