Lilypie

Friday, November 10, 2006

A Disastrous Meet-Up

I wonder if I am too sensitive, or just petty? Perhaps both. Am I the only one to think that it is wrong to be so distracted during an outing? Am I justified to feel irritated?

I met up with an acquaintance a few days back. It was just a casual meet-up, since we have been talking about meeting up but never got the opportunity and kept postponing. Since we finally found a time where we could meet up, we decided to just have a drink after work.

The moment I sat down, he told me he needed to rush off as he had to go for another friend's gathering. I was rather bewildered. In the first place, if you have a prior engagement, then why meet me on that day? We could always meet another day.

Then throughout the meeting, we were supposed to be catching up with each other, yet before I could even get a few sentences in, he was constantly interrupted by phone calls and messages, and kept replying and answering his phone.

To me, it is alright if someone answers a phone call or replies a message while out with me. Even my guy does that. I do that too. But to keep on being interrupted every few minutes while he answers the phone or replies a message, I find that downright rude and irritating.

Before we could even strike a decent conversation, he told me he needed to rush off after half an hour, as his friend was rushing him. Now, is that not just impolite? It is alright if he has an appointment after that. I do that sometimes, schedule one appointment after another, although I make sure there is sufficient time in between.

But to ask me to meet him, then in the end he had to go before half an hour was up, and constantly on the phone while I was meeting him, I find that unacceptable. If he was so half-hearted and disinterested in the first place, then why keep asking me to meet up?

Worse thing was that he kept asking me the same questions again, he said he was not really listening when I was telling him the first time round. Granted even if I am someone he dislikes, at least if he asked me out, try to be more attentive.

I do not mean people have to shower me with attention, but I always feel that the basic thing when meeting up with anyone is to at least be attentive to the person, instead of making the person feel left out and neglected.

Anyway I am sure never meeting up with him again. One time is more than enough.

3 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Online acquaintance?

Yeah, similar things have happened to me before. The person suddenly become a lot less communicative after one face to face meet.

imp said...

nah...i wouldn't want even a friend to do this during normal outings. what more an acquaintance meeting up for the first time?? it's just a lack of etiquette.

juphelia said...

Ole Wolvie : Yup, online acquaintance. Well I guess some people are just funny, and its all the more bewildering as he was the one who was so eager to meet up in the first place.

Imp : I agree with u. I find it so irritating as well.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...