Lilypie

Friday, November 17, 2006

Comic Relief

I have always like comics. Since young I have devoured Tintin, Asterix, Archie and Chinese and Japanese comics like Old Master Q and Doraemon. When I get older, I start to understand the various humour in the different comics.

For instance, Dilbert is about the corporate world. Almost every executive will be able to relate to the sarcasm on why subordinates are the ones doing everything, and the bosses do not seem to know how to do anything.

Of course, it is just an exaggeration, yet at the same time most people can relate to the situations involved. Here are some examples of funnier strips.






Besides Dilbert, there are other comics. Somehow the funniest comics I have read at an older age are from American cartoonists. I do not mean super heroes from DC or Marvel. I mean comics like Peanuts, Garfield, Cathy, Foxtrot, The Born Loser, Beetle Bailey (of olden days), Brenda Starr (also of olden says), King Tut, Calvin and Hobbes and the long-running Blondie.

The essential ingredient in every comic strip is the humour that keeps the audience captivated. Who can forget the smart dog that controls his master, the sickening, lazy fat cat who bullies his master and dog and makes friends with mice, the corporate executive who has a messed-up love life, the smart-alecky younger brother who makes life hell for his sister, the irritating boy who has a mind of his own and the wholesome lady who keeps the house warm and loving for her husband and family.

I cannot draw to save my life, but if I can, I will want to have a comic strip that is both down-to-earth, heart-warming, yet slapstick at the same time. Something like what Archie and his pals always get into. Or something like the Dagwood-Blondie relationship. Or even something like Cathy and her on-off lover Irving (whom she finally marries after twenty-seven years of breaking up and making up).

2 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Dilbert is uber.

And you have one panel that is doubled.

juphelia said...

Yes, didn't notice. Thanks for pointing out, rectified already.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...