Lilypie

Friday, November 24, 2006

A Tennis Player, Of Sorts

I am going for my first Squash lesson tonight. And I have no idea what the game is about save that it will be in an indoor court, the ball is hit towards the wall and will bounce back very fast, so my reflexes will have to be really quick.

I hope it will not be a disaster like my first tennis class. I took up Beginner's Tennis twice, and Intermediate once, but since I have not played for a while, I wonder if I am still able to serve the ball?

My first tennis course was a disaster. I am not sure whether it is because I am really clumsy, or my instructor did not do a good job. It was a beginner's class, so I was a real beginner. I had no idea how to even hold the racquet properly, let alone throw the ball!

The rest of those in the class seemed to have a little background, since they know how to serve properly and hold the racquet in the fore hand position. Thus I was like the odd one out, since the rest of them were able to team up and started playing doubles.

The coach asked why was it I had no tennis background. If I had, I would not be taking the class, would I? Why would it be called a Beginner's Tennis class if those taking the class know how to play tennis?

So I was made to hit the ball against the wall until I could bounce the ball off my racquet. She did not even tell me how to hit properly, just bouncing my ball on my racquet. She concentrated on the rest in the class and totally neglected me. So for eight weeks, all I did was to bounce the ball back and forth from my racquet to the wall.

The worst thing was that even the rest of the class ostracised me. They were allowed breaks in between but not me. Once when the ball accidentally bounced off my racquet and rolled towards a lady's foot, she kicked up a big fuss and scolded me for not aiming the ball properly! Was it not enough that I was already left out in the class, and then had to subject myself to such treatment?

I was so glad the class ended! The next class I took I made sure it was under another coach. This time the coach was really good! She showed me the right way to hold a racquet and to bounce the ball, and even told me the racquet I had (which belonged to my first brother) was not suitable for me as it was too heavy, thus I would not be able to serve properly.

She recommended me to get a beginner's lady's power serve racquet, then she said she had a second-hand racquet to spare and asked if I would be interested. After that, she told me that we could arrive in the court half an hour earlier so she could let me practice my serves.

And I really learnt a lot under her. I managed to learn how to serve, toss, the fore hand, backhand, playing doubles. That is what I call a real instructor. In the first place, could my first coach not know that my racquet was not suitable?

Hopefully my Squash coach tonight would be like my second tennis instructor, someone patient, dedicated and made sure his students are able to learn the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...