Lilypie

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Floating Book Fair?

The ship MV Doulos is berthed alongside the new ViVo City. It is holding a book fair. Since it is an international book fair, and it is the first time I came across a book fair on a ship, we went up the ship to take a look. And luckily we did, otherwise I would not have found things which I have been looking for so long!

The weather was very hot today, and it was very crowded, so we took a while before we managed to board the ship. It is not a very big ship, nothing compared to those tankers and container ships which my former company owns and manages.

After boarding, we followed the crowd and went round to the back, where the book fair is. The space is not that big for a book fair, but considering for such a limited space, the variety of books are pretty comprehensive indeed, and they are arranged neatly, better than those book fairs held in exhibition halls!

Needless to say, it was jam-packed with people. And it was very stuffy as well, since the ship's covers were down to prevent sunlight from streaming in, hence blocking out the wind at the same time. Still, I managed to get two volumes of Wordsworth Classic Stories collection consisting of all the books I used to love since young and which I have been trying to get my hands on them!

So now I have the complete and unabridged versions of The Little Prince, Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Water Babies, Just So Stories, Peter Pan, English Fairy Tales, Aesop's Fables, The Wind In The Willows, The Wizard Of Oz, Andersen's Fairy Tales, Treasure Island, The Railway Children, Little Women, Alice In Wonderland, The Jungle Book, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, Robin Hood and Kidnapped.

Heavenly bliss! Now I can relive all the classic great literature of the times, and not fretting where to find more books to while my time away, since these books are likely to keep me occupied for another month at least! I was so excited at finding this "treasure" that I was totally oblivious to the fact that the small cashier there accepts only cash!

As a result, I almost caused an embarrassment by not having enough cash, but luckily he managed to have enough to pay for me. I feel so bad for him because although for twenty books of this calibre, the amount paid is considered a good deal, but still it is not as cheap as some other books on display.

While we were queuing at the cashier, all eyes were riveted on the two collections I was holding. One lady even asked where I found those books. Somehow I get this feeling am I the only one who will actually read books like these? The section where I managed to find the collection looked pretty untouched. The rest of those in the queue had more "practical" non-fiction books.

Besides the book exhibition, there is also a mini cafe and inf0rmation counter. The place is like a mini United Nations since the employees come from many countries. Overall, it is a refreshing experience, but for the stuffiness. The good thing about this floating book fair is that it is not time-consuming, so we only needed half an hour to wander around the whole place.

For those interested, the ship will be leaving after the 24th November. So catch it before it is gone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...