Lilypie

Monday, November 13, 2006

Never A Chef Wannabe ....

I am never a cook. In fact, the only times I fumbled around in the kitchen were the times when I was assisting my exs when they were cooking. I did cook a few dishes, with their supervision. Which was why I was rather proud of myself when I whipped up fried bee hoon last year for a gathering and the fried rice few weeks back.

I never subscribe to the belief that a woman must know how to cook for a man. I always feel that if a woman loves her man, she will learn it on her own accord, but never should the man demand it as one of the qualities she must have.

I will cook only if I want to, not because the guy imposes it on me to. Besides, if the guy truly loves me, he will accept the fact that I am rather domestically-handicapped.

I have done some Home Economics back in school, so I do know how to cook simple dishes. However I have always liked baking more than cooking. Maybe because I am more of a sweet tooth, so I much rather enjoy baking a cake or cookies than cutting vegetables and meat and getting oil all over myself.

Unfortunately I never have a chance to bake because I do not have an oven at home (save for the microwave). My parents have never bought any cake-making materials as they disapprove of us eating too many cakes and cookies. Thus, normal utensils for cooking suffice.

However, after my fried rice stint, I have developed a slight interest in following recipes and whipping meals of my own. Or maybe it gets to a stage that I am sick of eating out most of the time, and wish to sometimes just whip up a few dishes of my own besides omelette, instant noodles and porridge.

For instance, if I get a craving for mee siam or laksa, instead of going out to get (and sometimes not being able to find any), would it not be better if I just prepare it on my own? Saves time and money. These two dishes actually have rather basic ingredients and relatively easy to prepare; I just have to know how to get the soup or gravy thing right.

And I find that cooking is therapeutic. It is not just a mere mixing and matching of dishes like one does in clothes, but more like an art because it reflects your feelings. It calms one down, relaxes your mind and soul while preparing the dishes, and then forces you to cheer up because no matter how well-prepared the food is, it will never taste good if the person preparing it is unhappy.

It is a joy cooking for loved ones, and an even greater joy if they love what you prepared for them. Having said that, I really wonder how to prepare the ingredients and cook properly without cutting, hurting, burning and dirtying oneself.

And which way to slice or dice vegetables to get the perfect cut into small pieces, instead of the chunky ones I always end up with.

3 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

It's not really time saving. Nor it is really money saving to cook for one person in Singapore.

But I would agree that there is fun to be had in cooking. Not to mention customization.

juphelia said...

I guess so. At least by cooking your own food you can come out with your own creativity, add or subtract whichever ingredients you like, which normally does not happen in hawker fare.

A Place to Chow said...

One can cook anything but the most important thing you've mentioned is the joy cooking for loved ones, and that they love what was prepared for them.

Well, cutting, hurting, burning and dirtying oneself is part and parcel of cooking. Even chefs will cut themselves but the chances of being hurt are much lower than amateurs.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...