Lilypie

Monday, November 27, 2006

My First Squash Lesson

I had my first Squash lesson on Friday evening, and it went pretty well. The coach is a jolly man, kind and fatherly. There are four of us, all girls, and I am the oldest, since the rest are teenagers or young adults.

Apparently Squash originated from Britain, so it is not a popular game as the Americans did not take it up. The coach told us that anything the Americans take up, like tennis or golf, it will become famous the world over. I wonder just how true that is?

The first lesson was a briefing on the rules and regulations of Squash, choosing a right racquet and how to hold a racquet. There are many similarities to tennis. The way we grip the racquet is the same. Also, the lighter the racquet, the easier it is to control the ball.

There is also the forehand, backhand, and even the way the ball is bounced and served is the same as tennis. However, Squash seems much easier to master as compared to tennis since the racquet and balls are smaller, hence easier to manoevre.

This will be a crash course. We will be mastering Squash in just five lessons, twice a week. Which means I will have completed the lessons by end of next week. Hopefully I can learn to play by then, otherwise have to go through the course again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...