Lilypie

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Taking Up Driving Again ....

This is it! I am going to take up driving lessons again! And now hopefully I can finally learn how to drive before I hit the big three-o.

When I was young, I wanted to drive so much. I could not wait to hit behind the wheel! Then after a very bad experience with a certain driving instructor, plus the traffic problem especially during peak hours and the high cost of a car, and the fact that it was so hard for me to pass, I decided it was not worth pursuing a licence since our own public transport system is relatively convenient.

So what convinced me now? Various reasons.

1. Driving is a skill that follows throughout the lifetime. Once you master it, it will not be forgotten, at least that is what people tell me. And I always like to learn new skills.

2. I do not need anyone to chauffeur me around. I can drive myself around if need be if the place I am going to is too inconvenient even for public transport.

3. A car brings you from one point to another point. There is no need to walk to any bus stops or train stations, no need to change buses or trains, and it takes lesser time in most cases.

4. Going from my office to my home takes more than an hour by bus. Taking a car takes only half an hour or so. I can use the time saved to do other things.

5. With the frequent trips my parents go on, I can help myself to their car each time they are away. I will be able to drive my brother or relatives whenever needed. I can even give my friends lifts instead of the other way round!

6. It is better to have a car if I go shopping or carrying a lot of things out. Everything can be placed in the boot instead of lugging around trying to get onto a public transport, even more so if there is a thunderstorm and impossible to get any cabs.

7. It saves time if I have to travel long-distances, or to cross the border into Malaysia.

8. It stops all sexual harassment in buses, trains or just the walking distance between train stations.

9. I can wake up later and still reach the office (or anywhere else) earlier if I am able to drive there.

10. I can drive to my favourite spot at the beach and hang out, or bring my dog for walks at the beach and to the vet and back.

11. And if I can drive, I will finally have the excuse to get my ultimate dream car!

3 comments:

richard said...

I only count #8 as a truly valid reason. The rest are "wants" not "needs".

juphelia said...

Yes I know. But it makes life easier all the same.

Ole' Wolvie said...

With the amount they cost, they better be...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...