Lilypie

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Of Wedding Gifts (Or Lack Of)

I went into the LiveJournal page just to see the difference, and I find that users have the flexibility of marking some entries private. Perhaps Blogger should have this function. It creates convenience if certain things are only to be shared among parties involved and not everyone, yet at the same time does not lock up one's blog totally.

Of course, if one wants to be truly private, then it makes more sense not to blog at all, as anyone can access through the world wide web. The most Blogger does if one wants to mark the blog private is to remove it from its listings, but in some cases, whatever one writes will still be available on the net per se.

There are other functions where people have to log in using a password just to access the blog, but I do not like it as it will inconvenience others. And chances are, if people need to log in using a password, human nature is such that they rather not go in at all.

I was looking around at the gallery (the retail arm) at the basement of my office earlier on, trying to find something for my friend's upcoming wedding dinner. It will be on a weekday, which means that day I need to be a bit more formal looking at work.

I have known him for over twelve years. We were from the same music class, and perhaps because we have about the same family background and of the same age, we started clicking with each other. I am slightly acquainted with his wife as well.

Anyway I was trying to see if I can find something for his wedding, but the retail arm deals with spa, aromatherapy and scents, plus nolstalgic stuff. Somehow I do not think he or his wife will appreciate the wedding favours range.

I am always at a dilemma when it comes to wedding gifts. The most practical thing is to just give cash gifts, and some wedding invitations do state they only want cash gifts. Personally I feel if it is a wedding, people should be able to give what they like to the wedding couple.

Of course, staying in Singapore, it is a different story altogether. Most people here do not give sensible gifts. Couples receive toasters, rice-cookers, and whatnots from well-meaning friends and relatives, things which most wedding couples will find tacky. So of course, the most sensible thing to do now is to just give a big red packet.

I bought a pair of crystal swans for my cousin's wedding in Singapore, as well as a pearl-encrusted photo frame cum jewellery box for my cousin's wedding in Australia, and a pair of Precious Moments wedding figurines for his solemnisation last week.

Come to think of it, am I getting myself into trouble? He got me a pair of Kalm's wedding bears for our engagement gift, and he said he would like a pair of Precious Moments figurines as a wedding gift. At that moment in time I thought I was fulfilling his wish, but now I wonder if I am getting him into trouble as well?

What my company's retail arm sells for their wedding favours may not appeal to most locals. Afterall, how many people here actually indulge in couple aromatherapy, complete with scented candles, incense and soothing music?

Personally I will like it. My husband and I giving each other back rubs using massage oils, lighting candles all over, inhaling the scents and creating a romantic ambience. I once told this to my third ex, and he burst the bubble by telling me that the house will catch fire with all the candles around. *Sigh*

On the other hand, I find so many things there for my cousin's upcoming wedding in Malta. Somehow I get the feeling he and his wife will appreciate the gifts more. I can foresee them lighting candles all over their house, yet somehow I can never foresee my friend and his wife doing the same thing.

Maybe this is the difference between someone more Westernised and someone who is very Asian, or Chinese in particular. So I guess I just have to give a red packet as yet again when I go for his wedding dinner.

3 comments:

Richard said...

I think money is tacky (although, I was appreciative of receiving it at my wedding).

I always try to buy a esthetically pleasant and functional gift. Decorative items are pointless. Dishes are mundane. I usually try to find some nice glassware that looks pretty and can be used (maybe not everyday). So nice serving platters, or bowls, or decanters, or something of that sort.

imp said...

i'll just give an ang pow or a cheque. easiest. not easy to guess what a wedding couple likes. some friends set up wedding gift registries and i burst into laughter when i saw what they wanted as pressies: washing machine, toaster etc....all stuff for the new house!! nothing decorative or 'cute' in that sense. all practical.

juphelia said...

Richard : Personally I think cash gifts are tacky too. It's practical but it does not mean much, although of course, after blowing a bomb on a wedding, it makes the most sense to give the wedding couple cash gifts.

Imp : Wedding registry? That's a very good idea actually! But Asians do not ask people for gifts, althhogh this is practised in the West, so this idea may not appeal to most people.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...