Lilypie

Monday, November 13, 2006

Of Housing Blocks (And Baby-Sitting)

I have never lived in an apartment except that period of time before we moved into this current house. It was a private six-bedroom walk-up maisonette. The building has only four floors, and I was staying on the third floor, with no necessity to take an elevator. I just needed to walk up and down whenever I went out. My parents still own the apartment and they rent it out to expatriates and suitable tenants.

Which is why sometimes I get claustrophobic in an elevator in a housing block, especially the older flats with the old elevator that looks and feels as if it may give way any time, not to mention the smell of urine which people still do in the elevators of older flats. The old elevators do not stop at every level, and there is no glass panel which allows one to look outside, so I always feel uncomfortable when I take this type of lift. Somehow I never get this feeling when I go to a newer flat.

I am never one who can find my way around housing estates. In fact, I get lost wandering around housing estates. The trouble with flats is that they all look the same. Some of the bigger blocks that are L-shaped or C-shaped, have their block numbers shown only at an obscure corner. As a result, it is hard to see which block I am at, especially since the lift lobby is way over at the other end.

I always wonder why for such a long and wide block of flats, there are only two elevators, both on the same end. Which means people who are staying in flats at the other end of the block often have to walk down a long corridor just to reach their homes. Why can the lifts not be right in the middle, or on both ends instead? It will give others more convenience, especially the elderly and disabled.

Anyway I was meeting my cousin yesterday to bring some kids from a Children's Home to Sentosa for her company's Family Day. I got down at the bus stop opposite, and then got lost. She was staying at Block 206. Right in front of me was Block 204. Next to it was Block 207. Behind it was Block 208. Where in the world were Blocks 205 and 206? The trouble with these blocks is that they do not run in sequence, thus it is hard to find where a particular block is.

After wandering around for a while, I realise that Block 205 is behind 207, and 206 is next to 208. How are those blocks arranged anyway? How did the Housing Board decide which block number at which location, and how the numbers run? Perhaps for those who are used to staying in housing estates are able to find their ways around easily, but for someone like me, I always get confused over the many blocks of flats I face.

Finally I managed to find the place and my cousin then guided me in the opposite direction from where I came in order to hitch a cab to Palawan beach. Once we arrived, it was a massive four hours of baby (or kid) sitting and discipline. I never know I would ever do this again! Generally the kids are alright, not much of a difference from primary school kids, or rather, not much of a difference from the kids of the primary school I was teaching in, and the kids there are generally more defiant and difficult than others.

The only trouble is that because the kids are not used to me since I am neither their teacher or guardian, they take no notice of instructions. But still, they are not that hard to manage. They are still polite and friendly, and warm up to adults very easily and well, not downright rude or demanding. And a lot of people donated their lucky draw prizes (like a television set, a hi-fi set, tidbits and hampers) to the kids at the Children's Home.

The kids had a good time at least. They played sandcastles, got involved in tele-matches, waded in the water, watched a magic show, ate KFC and ice-cream. And I happened to meet an old acquaintance from law studies who is now a senior officer in the company, as well as a former colleague who came with her boyfriend and his family.

At least I had a memorable day, despite all the tiredness and sunburn (almost). However I am in no hurry to take kids out again! I need to be truly well-prepared before I am willing to take kids out again, because it is very stressful indeed if you are responsible for the kids' lives and safety and not able to answer to any form of accident or mishap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...