Lilypie

Monday, November 19, 2007

A Working Weekend

It had been a full working weekend for me. My company had a launch and exhibition of a new project which I am involved in on Saturday and Sunday, at one of the five / six-star hotels, so I had to be there on both days to answer any legal-related queries.

I must say, this is the first time I am involved in something on such a massive scale, so even though I was excited to help out, I faltered when those who attended the exhibition asked difficult questions not found in the FAQ list and brochures. The brochures and list offered general information, but people would always ask nitty gritties like legal and finance issues.

Actually my company should have asked a Finance person to help out as well, because I could only handle general financing questions and legal issues, not the overall procedure and transactions, especially since the project involves mostly other countries. The laws and procedures vary from country to country, so one answer does not really fit all.

After the first day, I was totally exhausted. It was interesting sitting in while my colleagues from the other departments tried to promote and get people interested. All I needed to do was to listen and then give comments on specific issues. Other than that, it was a good learning ground.

However, when it came to questions which I could not give a clear answer to, I had no choice but to say I have to check it out. That was when people would give me a look indicating I was not well-prepared. I really felt so stupid after the first day.

Okay, granted in order to launch an exhibition, one's product knowledge has to be really at the fingertips, but then I was not supposed to be involved in the first place. I was there strictly on professional grounds on my own area of work. Still, I realised just how little I really know (not of my company, but of general economy and similar market) and that makes me feel really lousy.

The second day drew more crowd. Again, I was there on professional grounds, and this time, I had to be some sort of an acting exhibition personnel as well to serve the people coming in. I do not mind helping out, except I know I do not make a good promoter. People will not be convinced after hearing me out.

The second time round, I made sure I was totally familiar with all the Checklists and FAQs before arriving, so I could be more prepared for the various questions which people will likely ask. And more prepared I was, but knowing humans, there will always be surprises, so I was stumped by a few who asked even harder questions than the previous day.

I hope my colleague in charge of the whole project will not report to my boss that he has an idiot working for him, otherwise I just may get myself fired, and that is something which I do not wish to happen.

Now that the launch and exhibition is over, it is time to go back and mug in the office again, as due to the overwhelming response in the exhibition, I foresee I will be extra busy in the upcoming weeks and months even.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...