Lilypie

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Carrot Shreds!

I had to shred carrots before making the Carrot Cake. We had to make fifteen cakes for everyone, so we needed 460 grams of carrots, making it a total of seven carrots. The carrots had to be peeled before putting them through a big shredder / grater.

I must confess, being rather domestically-handicapped, that was the first time I ever tried shredding carrots (or anything else for that matter). I did not even had any idea whether to shred the carrot vertically or horizontally!

So I held the carrot upright and started from the pointed edge, moving in an upward motion. I shredded all the way until only the head of the carrot was left. The shreds turned out fine and thin, but they were a little messy as while shredding, the bits kept flying around. So the shreds ended up all over the shredder and some went onto the table as well. It took a while to remove the shredded pieces from the shredder itself.

I took another carrot and started shredding again. The same motion, starting from the pointed edge, moving upwards, all the way until only the head was left. Comparing myself to someone who is used to helping out around the house since young, I am really incompetent.

I see how others' hands could move so fast and shredded a carrot within minutes. It took me double the time, and even then, my arm was a little sore after shredding a carrot. By the time I started on my second carrot, my movements were drastically decreased.

I only shredded three carrots within the time limit. The rest have already shredded five or so. What a letdown! At least now I learnt how to go about making shreds, be it carrots or others. I may not have been helping around the house all along, but at least I know how to potter around in the kitchen too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...