Lilypie

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nasty Cabbie ....

I think some of the cab drivers here need to go for training to improve their attitudes. If I am the paying customer, shall they not treat me with the due respect? I am not saying that they have to treat me like a queen or have to open the car door for me and call me "M'am" all the time, but if they want to ask me directions on which way I prefer, then why change their expressions when I tell them the way?

Normally, when I get into a cab, I leave it to the driver to take me whichever way he likes. Afterall, he is the service provider, so I trust he will make my ride smooth and comfortable, and not bring me on a round the island tour. In most cases, I have no complaints on the service.

Some cab drivers will ask for directions on which route I will prefer to go, just to play safe. For me, if I am not in a hurry, I will just let the driver take me on whichever route he feels is the best. I am not so picky or particular as long as he gets me to my destination.

Of course, if I am really in a hurry, I will then tell the driver to go by the shortest way possible in order to reach the destination at the shortest time possible. Some drivers will caution against heavier traffic on certain routes, and some will caution against more traffic lights. But in cases like these, the cabbies will never fail to deliver.

If I am familiar with the way, then I will tell the cabbie the route I prefer to go. Most cabbies will oblige, but there will be some who will say other routes are better. Well, if I know other routes are better, then I would not have asked for a specific route, will I? It is precisely I know which route is the best way that I specially ask for it! Some cabbies are just out to earn more money by going the roundabout way instead of a shorter way.

What really irks me is that there are some drivers who think they know everything, refuse to listen, and still charge exorbitant amounts! I was taking a cab home some time last week. When the driver was approaching my area, I told him which way to turn. He immediately got so defensive and said that he knows the way better than I do.

I was going home. I have been living there for the past thirteen years or so, I know almost every nook and cranny, thus I believe I am in the position to know the way to my place better than he does! Besides, my area is not a housing neighbourhood, it is a suburban equivalent of landed properties and private housing with small roads, so for anyone unfamiliar, it is rather hard to find the place.

So I insisted he had to make the turn, because if he did not, he would be bringing me on a longer way back to my place instead of the shorter way. He then blew up and said if I wanted to make the turn in the first place, could I tell him in advance?

Did I not tell him in advance? He just chose to go on his own way, so when he almost missed the turn which I wanted him to go, he blamed me for it?! What kind of attitude is that? I was getting so pissed, yet he gave me a look indicating I was the one at fault in the first place!

Finally, when he stopped at my place, the fare came up to be S$9.70. I was rummaging in my handbag for my wallet so I could take the money to pay him. Yet when I took out the money, somehow the meter ran up to S$9.80, and he charged me the latter sum instead of the original sum!

I could have just argued, but in the first place, I was too tired to do anything. I just wanted to go home and relax. In the second place, it was only a mere ten cents, why be so calculative? But it was not so much the money but the principle of the thing. Anyway, I just wanted to get off fast so I paid him the exact fare.

I cannot believe people like this can be cab drivers to serve the public. His attitude itself already put people off. I believe there will be people who will call up the cab company to complain, but I am not one to do that. Still, I hope I never come across these kind of service providers again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...